New Year's Special - Part 4

A/N: Well, 5700+ words more and there will definitely be at least one more chapter to get to another ending. Though it was so easy to get back into this story, that I would love to do a sequel, focusing on the family....

Hélène couldn't really decide, if his behaviour and his vigilance was really sweet or really annoying, because there were times, when she felt like he was just mocking her. For example, when he didn't let her get out of bed, before she had had some baguette or croissant with just butter, so she would be able to keep it down, and a large mug of latte macchiato, decaf of course.

After the first morning, or better first noon, watching her run to the bathroom as soon as she had tried to get to her feet, to puke out everything that was still in her stomach, he had considered to look up everything he wanted to know about pregnancies on the internet, but then he had decided to rather entangle Nathalie into a conversation about stuff like that, what had led to the conclusion, that having a little snack before getting up, could help with the morning sickness. And it did. But the young woman, not used to somebody making such a fuss because of her, felt guilty, when she saw him set his alarm ten minutes earlier than hers, to be on time with her little breakfast.

It had been two weeks already and she could tell, that she was hurting him, by keeping him at distance or not being able to simply enjoy his devoted caring and tending. It was on the 16th of January, when every corner of the house smelled wonderfully sweet, because Marinette had, as she had been too busy on the 'fête de rois', decided to postpone the celebration to this day, and had, after the recipe of her dad and grandfather, been baking Gallette all night here in the mansion's perfectly equipped kitchen. Her own was more functional, to tend to their everyday needs, while here the huge oven was simply giving her much better and more consistent results.

Nick had seen her sniff the air with a longing gaze and instantly asked:

"Would you like some? I can sneak down and ask Marinette for a little sample for you!"

Hélène groaned and spat:

"Can't you just stop treating me like I was dying or something? I can get my own Gallette if I want some!"

He had swallowed heavily and turned around, so she wouldn't see him fight back the tears.

"Can I ask you something?", he wondered hoarsely.

"What?", she demanded, still a little moody.

"Why do you get angry, when I try to do something nice for you? I mean, has Antoinette never.... did she ever, you know......I mean, over those six months, in which she knew, you were pregnant and didn't feel good...... has she ever brought you something? Or before? Did she even consider, to spoil you for once instead you doing everything you could, to satisfy her? Is that the reason, why you can't accept my.....well..... I ... like uhm, my commitment, my dedication to read your every wish from your eyes?"

He shrugged and turned around to look at her. Only now did the young woman notice the glistening in his eyes and felt even more guilty than before.

The concerned father to be watched her get to her feet to come to him and hurried towards her, to nudge her back onto the mattress.

"Nick, would you please stop that? Don't patronize me, okay?", she lamented.

He closed his eyes for a moment, taking a couple of deep breath, trying to not start to cry, when he felt a hand on his cheek.

"Don't pity me, Hélène! I am fine, so please stop!", he hissed angrily but she just kept her hand there and said softly:

"Look at me please, Nicky!"