Part 46 - Complaints

Six weeks had passed and Nathalie's wound had healed without complications. She didn't care about the scar that was left behind, as it wasn't her first and if she would take the advice of her doctor, it wouldn't be her last. But she wasn't really willing to have a C-section if it wasn't necessary. She rather would have a natural birth and if she had the choice, she would prefer to do that at home, where she felt safe.

The doctor had told them at their last appointment, that he didn't think, Nathalie had regained the strength yet, to get through the pain and the birth.

But the pregnant woman disagreed. And luckily so did Gabriel.

"Believe me, doctor", he told him, "nobody has as much strength as this woman here", he laid an arm around her and kissed her cheek, while she was still lying on the stretcher to have her maybe final ultrasound.

"And you said, that an epidural will be as good as impossible, because of the scars on her back. So she would need to get anaesthesia which isn't good for her or the baby, right? She wants to have a natural birth despite knowing, that she will have to endure all the pain. Maybe you should try to encourage my wife a little instead of telling her she can't do that. Because I believe she can!"

The gynaecologist sighed.

"I am pretty sure, that she can get herself to do it somehow. But why, if there are other ways? You should really consider your decision. At least the one to have the child at home. Go to a hospital, where every emergency can be dealt with", he pleaded.

Gabriel raised his eyebrows.

"I thought you were joking, when you said, you would like to have the baby at home. Nathalie, in this I agree with the doctor, what if anything goes wrong?", he exclaimed.

"It won't, because I am willing to go to a hospital. But, I won't take a C-section without any medical indication into consideration. And I want you 'and' Marinette with me. At least until the actual birth. Maybe Adrien too, if he wants to", Nathalie explained.

She started to laugh when she noticed Gabriel's sad expression.

"Don't look at me like that. If that birth will be similar to the whole pregnancy, we're probably going to be there for quite a while. And even if we won't, I thought they might help to distract me from the pain a little bit", she reached for his hand and kissed the back of it. "Please don't be sad my darling. In the end I don't want anyone else but you at my side!"

Gabriel was touched by Nathalie's words and kissed her on the lips. A kiss that the woman quickly deepened, as this just felt so right at the moment. Though being rather surprised by that, her husband of course reciprocated that passion until the doctor cleared his throat and questioned:

"How about you let me do the ultrasound quickly and then I tell you everything that's important and after that you can go home?"

The couple giggled sheepishly but agreed.

"Sorry, doctor. But after everything that happened to us over the last months, we somehow get lost in those small occasions every time. But we don't mind. we've been missing out on so many things, I just say, we deserve this", the young woman tried to explain.

With a smirk the physician replied:

"Well, forgive me, if I point to the fact, that this probably won't be your last child then!"

Blushing the couple avoided his eyes, as he continued the examination by putting the ultrasound gel onto the pregnant woman's stomach.

"Let's see", he told while he took several measurements, "she is totally in the norm according to weight and size, her head is in the lower part of your abdomen and her feet are in the upper part. You probably have noticed that?"