Part 11 - Distance

For the upcoming week, Nathalie stayed in her room most of the time. She knew Gabriel's schedule very well and could easily get to the kitchen and back, to get her meals, without meeting him accidentally.

The designer tried to give her the space she had asked for, but he couldn't keep himself from watching her getting her meals, once he had figured out her regular walks to the kitchen.

He just watched her from afar, so she wouldn't feel as if he was stalking her, but it pained him, to see, how she suffered under all that had happened.

Twice he had knocked on her door, hoping she was ready to speak with him, but each time she had told him, that she had made her decision and kept the door closed. He knew, she didn't lock it, but he respected her privacy too much, to just step inside.

So he did, what he had always done, when he was feeling sad or troubled, he buried himself in his work.

Adrien had after half of the week had passed without any progress, decided to stay with Marinette for sometime, to give them a little more space.

The week passed rather fast and Monday morning approached.

To avoid any awkwardness, Nathalie just did, what she had done for years, she kept all conversation emotionless and professional. So when she entered the office, shocked that he was already at his work, she only said a cold and quiet: "Good morning, Sir", before she went to her desk and switched her Computer on.

To Gabriel her words felt like a step into his heart and so he had to take a deep breath, before he softly answered: Good morning to you too, Nathalie."

He watched her from the corner of his eye, noticing her covering her face with both hands for a second, when she thought he wasn't looking. He had almost walked to her and tried to hug her, he already had lifted his right foot to leave his working place, when he noticed what he was doing and set the foot back to the floor, to continue working on his latest design.

Around noon, Nathalie started coughing again. The concerned designer immediately rushed to help her, but she muttered a short: "Excuse me, Sir", and quickly stepped out of the office and into her own room. She returned about fifteen minutes later and acted as if nothing had happened. He stood in front of her desk to ask:

"Are you alright, Nathalie?"

"I am fine, Sir", she only responded. He sighed and turned around, tears in his eyes. He told her, he'd be back in a few minutes and left the room. In the hallway he quickened his pace until he was almost running and bumped his bedroom door against the wall, as he pushed it forcefully open. He closed it behind him and leaned his back against the door, his eyes shut his body trembling. Taking his time to pull himself together, he spent 20 minutes like that, before he felt he could face her again.

The rest of the week went just like this. The only conversation between them, was good morning and good night, as well as all the work related things. Nathalie had all emotions locked up deep inside her and acted colder than ever.

Over the weekend both were back to their avoid-the-other tactic.

Monday morning started just the same as did the week before. Gabriel was already prepared for that and tried to focus on his work. Then, on Tuesday, she didn't come to her desk at eight as she usually did. He noticed that, without further concern, thinking she might be busy with one of her other tasks. But when nine o'clock passed and it was almost quarter to ten, he was by far more than worried and stepped back from his tablet, to go look for his assistant.

He knocked on her door very softly. Nothing. He knocked again, louder this time. Still nothing. He hit the door with his knuckles, but still he couldn't hear any reaction from the inside.