Chapter 105 - Shattering slowly

Start from the beginning

I nodded in agreement. She patted my shoulder and went back to join the others. I headed towards my house. As I was tinkering with the lock I heard steps behind me. I glanced back above my shoulder.

"Hi," I said to Negan.

"Hey," he said, frowning his eyebrows. "Are you avoiding me?" he asked out of the blue. I got the door open and stepped inside, he followed me.

"I'm not avoiding you," I said simply. I was avoiding him. And he was avoiding me. Why would he even ask that when he is avoiding me already? I locked the door behind us.

"I already took a shower, so I'll just go to sleep," I said. He nodded and headed towards the bathroom. I went upstairs, changed into pajamas, and got comfortable in bed. It felt so good after not sleeping at all and then sleeping in a sitting position. Gosh, this bed was so comfortable. As I was drifting off to sleep I heard Negan coming to the bed and lying down too. I fell asleep very soon.

...

After a group washed all the dirty dishes, everyone went home. The dinner went in an excellent mood, except for Quinn and Negan. It was already late at night when Carol and Daryl sat on the porch steps next to each other, both of them smoking cigarettes. Daryl told Carol everything, he talked so much more than he usually does. Carol was surprised but listened to his story carefully. By the time he finished, Carol was sure that Daryl didn't have any feelings for Leah anymore. He probably got confused a bit and hurt him to see her again, but there wasn't anything anymore. She was more concerned about Daryl being tortured and forced to do things. Also, the whole undercover thing. They both finished their cigarettes by the end of the story. Carol didn't say anything after Daryl finished, she was just looking at him, smiling slightly. She gently brushed his hair out of his face.

"What?" asked Daryl now smiling too.

"I'm just happy you're back," said Carol and leaned her head on his shoulder. Daryl was smiling to himself, with slightly red cheeks. Then Carol held her head up and looked at him once again.

"Are you okay?" asked Carol still concerned, while she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"I'm fine," said Daryl getting lost in Carol's eyes. He turned a bit more towards her and leaned in very slowly and kissed her. Carol was hugging him even stronger. Daryl put one of his hands gently on her cheek and on the side of her neck. They were kissing softly, sweetly for a long time. After they backed away a bit, Daryl looked Carol in the eyes once again, then he put his forehead on her shoulder. Carol was softly caressing the back of his neck.

"You're home now," said Carol quietly, gently. "We'll get over this."

"I feel like I caused everythin'..." murmured Daryl, barely audible, but Carol could hear him perfectly as he was so close to her.

"Of course you did not! Leah wasn't with this group back then... and you are not responsible for her actions at all!"

"I know... but I feel like this," said Daryl, his forehead still resting on Carol's shoulder, he was getting comfortable and he could avoid eye contact this way. Carol let out a gentle sigh.

"It will go away. Just don't think so much about it. It's over. You're here. You brought a lot of food, you made all the kids happy. Even the grown-ups. We would be starving, but you made sure we don't. Think about that," said Carol gently. Daryl slowly held up his head and looked Carol in the eye.

"That's one thing... but... you bought back Connie. You're a miracle," he murmured. Carol chuckled sarcastically.

"After I murdered her it doesn't feel that good," she said. Daryl took her hand gently.