Part 92

Logan opened the door to the apartment slowly and lowered his head, so that Rory could only see his face and shoulders.

It barely took Rory a second to notice he was there.
'Mom, I gotta...' she almost dropped her mobile phone, before she ran across the room and into Logans arms.

Logan pulled Rory closer to him, nusling his head into her shoulders to take in her oh-so-familiar, although slightly vomit tinged, scent.

After a few seconds, Logan leant backwards, still keeping his arms wrapped tightly around Rorys waist.

'I'm so, so sorry...' he said.
'Don't worry', Rory reached up to touch Logans face. 'You were only gone for five minutes'.
'Ace', Logan tilted his head. 'Don't tell me you weren't going stir crazy! I know you too well'.
Rory laughed to herself. 'Ok, maybe I was', she said. 'But honestly, it's no big deal.'

'We need to talk,' Logan said, moving his arms from around Rory, so that they were now placed firmly on her hips.
'Hhmm' Rory hummed in agreement.
'But first I gotta...' Logan paused to give Rory a kiss on the forehead, before he moved away from her. 'You were right about that whiskey', he chuckled, as he made his way over towards the kitchen, to retrieve the whiskey glass and bottle that were already on the kitchen worktop.

Rory laughed, as she made her way across the room and towards the couch.
'Want anything?' Logan asked.
'Erm...just a water', Rory replied. There was still so much more that she had to say and the thought of it all made her feel nauseous.

Once Logan had handed Rory her drink and taken a seat next to her on the couch, he begun talking.
'I don't really have a lot to say', he said. 'I know I said we need to talk, but now it's come to it..' he laughed. 'I don't really know what to say, other than..' he paused. 'How excited I am that I get to be a father again!'

Logan reached forward and grabbed both of Rorys hands.
'This is such great news, ace! We get to be parents again, but this time we get to do it all right and properly. We get to do it..'He paused for a second and looked directly into Rorys eyes. 'We get to do it together.'

Rory slipped one hand out of Logans grasp and placed it on top of his. She would never be ready to tell him what she'd really been thinking these past few days, but now was as good a time as any.

'Logan, I've been thinking.'
Although Rory was too self conscious to look up from where hers and Logans hands were intertwined on her lap, she managed to catch a glimpse of Logans expresssion. The elated smile that had just seconds ago been plastered across his face had suddenly dropped.

Rory moved her hand slightly up Logans wrist, in the hope of providing him with some comfort.
'No it's ok it's..' Rory managed to muster up the confidence to look directly into Logans eyes as she said this. 'It's just I've been thinking, that maybe we'd be better off trying the whole co-parenting thing again. I mean, it'll be a lot easier this time, with you not married to Odette, well technically you are, but...'

'Ace..' Logan stopped Rory in her tracks. 'What the hell are you talking about?'

'It's just I've thought about this a lot these past couple of days and if we really think this baby is gonna magically fix everything, then we're kidding ourselves...'

'But this is us, Rory. I thought we just...' Logan had now let go of Rorys hands and was rubbing his own together, anxiously. 'I thought we'd sorted this out.'

'We haven't, Logan.' Rory looked back down at her own lap. 'We never had a conversation to talk about this and it's not even just about what you said, it's the fact that we fought so bad, Logan! That's so not us any more. We haven't done that in years! And I don't know Logan, I just don't think it would be fair on this baby to try and use them as a sticking plaster over our relationship.'

'But, ace, I...'

'No Logan. There's nothing you can say that will change this.' Rory looked up to where Logan was now stood up in front of her. She took a deep breath in, before she had to say what she was about to say.

'Logan, it's over.'

Logan didn't say anything, he just walked out of the apartment. And this time, he was gone longer than five minutes.