Part 88

Rory stood up and pulled her skirt down over her knees.
'Gum?' Lorelai asked.
'Already done it', Rory said, opening her mouth.
'Ermm' Lorelai moved closer to her daughter. 'You still smell like puke!'
'Gee mom! thanks!'
'No worries, want some spritz?' Lorelai fished a bottle of perfume out of her handbag and handed it over to Rory.
'I think I better!' Rory laughed.
'Now get yourself out there!' Lorelai pushed her daughter towards the bathroom cubicle door and then leaned into her shoulder. 'But we gotta talk more about this later.'

Rory stepped out of the cubicle and made her way towards the mirror. Leaning forward, she begun to use her kardigan to wipe away the dark mascara circles that had formed under her eyes.
'Like your hair?' Lorelai asked.
Rory looked up at the loose bun her mom had tied her hair into. 'Cute!'
'I know', Lorelai replied. 'Noone will ever be able to tell that it's actually covered in puke!'
Rory glared at her mom, urging her to stop talking about this.
'Lipgloss?' Lorelai asked.
'Makes every situation better!' Rory said, taking the small stick from her moms hand.

'You ready?' Lorelai took her daughters hand in hers.
'Not really', Rory looked down at her feet nervously, 'but I suppose I'm as ready as I'll ever be!'

A soon as they stepped outside of the bathroom door, Rory was pounced on by Logan. Still quite reserved in the way he responded to her, he reached out and put his hands on her shoulders.
'Rory are you ok?' he asked. 'What the hell happened in there?'
'Yeah, don't worry Logan. I'm fine.' Rory wriggled out of Logans grasp. 'We just gotta get back into court. God knows how this all looks to the judge.'

Lorelai rubbed her daughters shoulder, clearly aware of the tense atmosphere that was forming around her.
'Rory honey, I'm gonna go head inside. I'll see you both in there.'
'Ok, bye mom', Rory said, as her mom walked away. 'We'll only be a couple minutes.'
'See ya later Lorelai', Logan raised one of his hands. 'Thanks for everything you've done so far today, Lorelai. You've been great.'

'Great.' Rory said, when her mom had left. 'Let's get back in there'. She begun to walk towards the direction of the court room, expecting Logan to do the same. But instead, he reached out and put one hand on her shoulder.
'Wait, Rory', he said, trying to pull her back towards him. 'I think they've taken a recess now anyway. And I've kinda got something to tell you.'

Rory finally stopped in her tracks and turned around. 'For gods sake Logan, what is it this time!'
'I've kinda...' Logan chewed his lip nervously. 'I've kinda fired Walter.'
'What the hell Logan!' Rory erupted. This was the last thing she needed, after everything that had happened so far today. 'You can't just go ahead and fire your lawyer, right in the middle of the court case!'
Logan tried to take a hold of Rorys arms, but she pushed him away. 'Rory, I...'
Rory continued her rant, not allowing space for Logan to speak. 'No, Logan! I can't believe you've just done this! Well I can, this is just typical of you! But I'm starting to wonder about whether you even want this! Do you even want your son back?!'
'Rory, just let me explain...'
'No, Logan, I'm done! I really don't need this today!'

Rory turned around and started to head towards the outside doors. Logan tried to run after her, but she was too quick.
'Rory, you're not even letting me explain! If you could just give me 30 seconds!'

Finally, Rory stopped, allowing Logan to catch up with her.
'No, Logan, just go!' She turned and pointed in the direction of the court room door, before turning back around to walk towards the exit.
Logan moved swiftly, blocking Rorys path.
'Logan, I'm being serious!' Rory said, as she tried to push past him. But every time she turned to leave, Logan caught her in his arms.
'Oh my god Logan, would you just get out of my way!' Rory pushed Logan backwards, causing him to stumble slightly. 'This is exactly it, Logan! This is exactly why we split up!'

Logan was looking down at the floor now. It was obvious that he was trying to contain his emotions. Rory took advantage of this vulnerability and pushed her way past him. Logan made no attempt stop her from leaving and let the woman he loved walk away from him, once again.