Part 4 - Hartford Hospital

The nurse popped her head around the corner of the delivery room door.
'Everything ok?'
'Yeah thanks' Rory replied 'the pain relief seems to be kicking in now'.
'Ah that's always the best part!' the nurse chuckled 'sorry I just have to ask. Are you that Rory Gilmore?'
'There's only one Rory Gilmore!' Lorelai butted in.
'If you mean am I the Rory who wrote the book, then yeah I am' Rory interjected.
'Ooh! Well I read every page cover to cover!' replied the nurse, 'absolutely loved it, could not put it down'.
'Yeah it seems to have been a hit' Rory replied.
'So if you're Rory, you must be..' the nurse began.
'The other Gilmore Girl! The one, the only Lorelai Gilmore' said Lorelai.
'Well, technically not the one and only' Rory chuckled.
'Ok technicalities...' was her mums response.
'Anyway I gotta go now' said the nurse 'I was just checking in'. Rory barely managed to thank the lady before she shut the door behind her.

'God, I don't think I'll ever get over that!' said Lorelai.
'I know! The books only been out a couple months and I can hardly go anywhere' Rory replied.
'The diners done a roaring trade in the last couple of months' Luke interjected, reminding the others that he was still in the room.
'And all thanks to my beautiful daughter Rory Gilmore!' Lorelai winked and placed a hand on her daughters thigh.

'You know you should really call..' began Lorelai.
'Yeah I know' Rory interupted, 'but I have no idea where my cell phone is'.
'Kirk!' Luke yelled.
A hollow response came from the other side of the door, 'yes Luke'.
'How did I know you would still be here?' Luke shouted back, 'go home Kirk! Do you have any idea where Rorys cell is?'
'Of course. I have it in my back pocket Kirk replied, 'alongside a peice of gum from 2008, a dog chew, my flashlight and several of my new GPS watches'.
'God Kirk, you must have pretty big pockets' said Luke.
'I'll come in and pass it to you if you'd like' Kirk yelled back.
'No you just stay that side of the wall, I'll come and get it from you' was Lukes reply.

Rory took the sticky phone from Lukes hand and held it tentatively. She dialed that all too familiar yet all too distant phone number. No response. She tried again. After a couple of dials Logan picked up the phone.
'Yes, Rory!' he barked down the reciever.
'What are you on today?' Rory replied.
'Just get on with it already' was Logans response, 'why did you call?'
'I'm sorry' Rory replied sarcastically, 'did I pull you away from something important?'
'Something important Rory, something important, I've just had to close the door on my wife seconds after she's told me she's pregnant'.
'Oh look at you!' Rory chuckled, 'congratulations, daddy of the year!' She could hear Logan grunt on the end of the line. 'Anyway, I was just calling to tell you that I'm at the hospital, about to give birth to your child.'
'Jeez Rory!' Logans tone was a lot shallower now. 'You should have said sooner. You know I'm not gonna be able to get over there for a couple of days. I'll check right now and see what flights are going out of Heathrow tomorrow. Just keep me updated and I'll try and try and get there as soon as I can!'
'Don't worry Logan, I'll be sure to send you a WhatsApp photo of your daughter or son. Can't you just get the Huntzberger jet over?' came Rorys reply.
'My fathers using that this weekend and jeez Rory why are you being so sarcastic with me right now?' Logan asked.
'Sorry' Rory replied, with a sarcastic chuckle, 'it's pretty hard to stay very upbeat when you're being dosed full of painkillers.'
'Well cut me a bit of slack Rory!' Logan said 'you know what I'm dealing with here.'
'Oh Logan, I'm not even gonna have this conversation right now. I'd just thought I'd let you know, in case you wanted to pretend to take an interest in your childs life' Rory explained. Before Logan could respond, Lorelai reached over and pressed the red button on Rorys phone.
'Goodbye Logan!' Lorelai said when she'd hung up.
'Moomm!' Rory called out.
'The guys a loser' came her mums response.
'I know but I gotta give him a chance to be a father, I owe that to my kid' Rory replied.
'Some father he's gonna be from the other side of the ocean' Luke interjected.
'Luke!' Rory whined.
'Anyway, let's forget about baby daddy now and focus on you. Are you comfortable?' asked Lorelai. Rory barely had chance to respond before she screamed out in pain...'oww! Contraction!'