Chapter 52

Y/N pov

I was just laying there listening to lizzie talk. Oh how I've missed her voice, her eyes. Just her in general. She was lost in what she was saying that she didn't realise that I was awake. I just waited for her to finish what she wanted to say.

"What do you mean?" She asked me again while I just stared at her with a smile. Just happy to be in the same room as her again.

"They've medically discharged me. With all the injuries I sustained and the torture I won't be able to go back." I told her as I looked away remembering what had happened while I was away.

"Hey its OK. You're home safe and we will get through this together. You and me until forever ends." She said as she cupped my cheeks making me look at her.

"Until forever ends." I repeated before she gave me a gentle kiss. "You were my only thought while I was away. The thought of coming home to you kept me fighting to stay alive even though there was so many times I just wanted to give up."

"Well I'm so happy you're here with me now." She said with tears in her eyes resting her forehead on mine. We just talked for a while about everything that happened while I was away. Well I just listened to her really not really wanting to talk about my time away.

"Does Jamie know?" I asked probably knowing the answer already.

"Yeah I told him when you went MIA and when we got told you were here. He hasn't messaged back. He wouldn't answer my calls either." She told me which was like a kick to the stomach.

"I guess everything my dad told me was right." I said quietly hoping she didn't hear me but clearly I was right.

"No he wasn't right. You are an amazing person. You're strong, kind hearted and selfless. You are everything that they are not. So don't ever let me hear you say little of yourself and I will spend everyday for the rest of our lives telling you everyday why I fell in love with you." She said sternly with nothing but love and adoration in her eyes.

"I'm sorry." I said as I looked down avoiding her eyes. It wasn't long until our time alone was cut short when her parents came in with Scar and colin and Rose.

"Hey guys." I greeted them all with a shy smile which they all returned just as wide.

"Oh hunny, thank god you're home safe." Lizzies mum said as she came over to give me a gentle hug followed by everyone else.

"So how are you feeling?" Scar asked as she sat the other side of the bed with Colin and Rose in her lap.

"Sore but ill live." I said with a smile.

"What happened?" Colin asked me softly which made me uncomfortable because I haven't even talked to lizzie about it.

"He doesn't have to talk about it Colin. Just enjoy him being home safe. You know especially since he's practically your husband." Scar told him with a teasing smirk making everyone laugh at his red face.

"When are you allowed home?" Rose asked quietly.

"I don't know nugget. Hopefully soon and we can have a movie day." I told her with a soft smile. She looked at me with open arms wanting a snuggle which I opened my arms for her.

"Be careful Rose, he's really sore." Scar told her sternly

"It's OK Scar. I need cuddles off my favourite girl." I said with a smile as she nuzzled herself into my neck.

"Watch out lizzie, Rose is stealing your man." Colin said teasingly.

"Well I guess I have to people to worry about stealing him away from me." Lizzie fired back with a smirk. It felt really good to be home with people I love and who actually care about me.

"I've missed you guys." I said quietly as I kissed the top of Roses head. Everyone just smiled warmly at me. I didn't notice a tear had fell down cheek.

"Are you OK uncle Y/N?" Rose asked making me smile widely as she wiped my cheek.

"I'm fine nugget. I'm just happy I'm here with my family." I said with a smile which she returned with a sparkle in her eyes.

"What about your brother?" Lizzies dad asked me. Lizzie was about to answer but I cut her off

"Well apparently he's doesn't care just like my parents." I told them softly.

"I'm sorry Y/N." He said softly.

"No its OK, I have everyone I need right here in this room." I said with a wide smile knowing that these are the people that I can always count on. We all sat and talked for a while. Colin even went out and got dinner for us all. We all ate together while I had Rose still on my lap. I just hope one day Lizzie and I will have our own little ones running around. Which was something I was thinking about quite often while I was away. I really do want to marry her one day.

"David is it ok if I talk to you alone?" I asked as everyone looked confused.

"Yeah of course son." He said with a smile.

"Well we're gonna take this nugget home." Scar said as her and Colin came and gave us all hugs before leaving saying they'll be back tomorrow. I watched as lizzie and her mum walked outside saying they were going to get us all coffee.

"So whats up?" He said with a smile as he sat closer to me.

"I want to ask you something. I know nowadays it's kind of old fashioned but I would like your blessing to propose to Lizzie. I'm planning on doing it when I've got my head sorted out with everything that's happened and I plan on spending the rest of my life with her and starting a family and making her the happiest she can be." I rambled out nervously.

"Well you already know what I think of you so, you do have my blessing and definitely have jarnettes. We both love you like a son anyway and it would be an honour to officially have you as part of our family." He said with a wide smile. "I already see how happy you make her and I know you will do everything you can to keep her safe."

I wasn't so sure about the safe part. I didn't even manage to keep my unit safe. Every single one of those soldiers and their families looked to me to keep them safe so they could return home. Some of them had kids of their own, hell some of them were actual kids to me anyway and I failed them. That's all I ever do is fail everyone. I was broken out of my thoughts when Lizzie cupped my face. I didn't even notice her and her mum come back.

"Hey baby, are you OK?" She asked concerned searching my eyes.

"Yeah I'm fine." I told her with a smile.

"Are you sure son, you've been zoned out for about 15 minutes." Her dad told me.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realise." I said sheepishly.

"It's OK, we're all gonna help you through this OK?" He said as he gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"Ok. Thank you." I said as I gave them a thankful smile. We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening talking and watching movies together before her parents went home. I looked over at lizzie and saw that she was exhausted and I scooted over on the bed for her and patted the bed signalling her to join me.

"I don't want to hurt you." She said softly

"You can never hurt me. I just want to sleep with my beautiful girlfriend." I said with a smile. It didn't take much convincing for her to join me. We cuddled up together until we both fell asleep. It felt amazing to have her back in my arms again.