Coming home (army)

You had been serving in the armed forces for 3 years; spending time on tours in different area's, being at the base and in vigorous training routines, but today was your last day. You walked back from the office till you made it to your shared dorm.

"What's the verdict y/n?" your best friend and fellow soldier asked from her bunk.

"So i've signed all the forms...and I'm leaving camp in an hour."

"We'll miss you y/l/n (yourlastname)" She said, hugging you and patting your back.

"I'll miss you two Miller, but I have to go home." You replied, thinking about your girlfriend Lauren.

"Go get your girl y/n."

"Thanks." You said with a grin, hugging your best friend again before she walked out of the room and then moving to pack up your things.

You grabbed your bag and all of your clothes, folding them neatly and putting them in carefully. Then you collected all your boots and placed them on top.

When you had finally finished, you reached for your cellphone and dialled the familiar number, waiting to hear your girlfriends voice.

***

"Y/n! I miss you so much!"

"I miss you too Laur! Is everything okay at home?"

"Everything's fine here babe, we just miss you so much. My dad won't stop quizzing me on when your home so that you can go fishing with him and mom keeps going on about a family dinner." She rambled, making you smile with so much love.

"I'll be home soon baby girl, I promise." You told her, knowing that you were going to be home in a few hours, but keeping it a surprise for her.

"Just get your butt back here soon y/f/n. (Yourfullname)" She said, making you laugh.

You both spoke for a few more minutes, then the sound of the commanders voice echoing, and you both knew what this meant. You grabbed your bag, slung it over your shoulder and put your boots on, whilst balancing the phone against your ear.

"Do you have to go?" She mumbled making you sigh.

"I'll see you later Laur, I love you so much princess."

"I love you too y/n. Stay safe." She whispered back, holding in her tears. The sound of her breaking voice made you so heartbroken, but you knew that you would be home soon to hold her and make her feel better.

****

"It's farewell time!" One of your friends shouted with a sad tone. "Your cars here y/n."

Looking out of the window, you saw a black combat vehicle and a man with shades standing by the side. Your rushed down the stairs and out into the grounds.

"Y/l/n?" The driver asked, removing his shades. You nodded in reply and lifted your bag off of the ground before placing it on the back seat.

"I guess this is it." You stated, looking to your fellow soldier friends.

"Goodbye y/l/n."

"Stay safe guys, and good luck." You replied, hugging each soldier from your dorm. Then you shook the commanders hand and saluted before getting into the vehicle.

You waved from the car window as the driver pulled away from the camp, you rested your head against the glass and closed your eyes, eager to get home.

**********

6 hours later, the car pulled up outside your house. It was the early hours of the morning, and the living room light was still on, meaning that your girlfriend was awake.