Chapter 72

Week 37: The baby is weighing 3 kilograms and 48.5 centimetres long. The baby is too big to be punching and kicking. They can only stretch, turn, roll and twist.

The baby continues to grow every day until their delivery and their fat continues to accumulate around other places like the knees, shoulders and elbows.

They will gain weight and grow in size until they are delivered. One in twenty babies are born on their due date.

________________________________________

We arrived at the manor and got in immediately since it was snowing outside. I first went to the study since I assumed Caleb would be working like the workaholic he is.

And I was right.

"Hey brother." He raised his head to look at me.

"Kid." He breathed and stood up to give me a hug. "God you're so big." I punched his arm and he laughed.

He was right. I was so big I couldn't even recognise myself. My baby bump was growing tremendously as well. I couldn't tell if I was exaggerating on how big it was or if the baby really had a lot of weight.

"Stop reminding me." I said taking my coat off. "Anything from grandpa about Christmas?" I asked.

"It's his last Christmas so yeah he's spending it with us." I smiled but also felt hurt that he was dying and there was nothing I could do about it.

"It sucks that we know he's dying." I said and walked to the window. The windows in here had the beautiful view of the lake.

Flashback

I hugged my knees in my room staring at the sunrise outside my window. My body felt weak, exhausted and restless at the same time. I still couldn't sleep even after the whole night of not being able to. I guess that's how it is after you murder a person.

Nobody told me how haunting the memories of their last memories are. Their last words, their last facial expression. Heck even their last smile. Each time I closed my eyes I saw Reid with a knife placed on my brother's throat. Him demanding me to put the gun down. Him laying on the floor on a pool of blood with his eyes wide open and a bullet between them.

I heard my door open and close. I didn't bother to look back. If I was being honest I wanted to be left alone at the moment. The person came to where I was and sat next to me.

"I guess you didn't get a peaceful night." I recognised the voice as grandpa's voice. My throat felt dry. I couldn't get the voice out so I decided to shake my head slowly. "I understand. That's how it feels after your first kill. It haunts you." I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry about what happened honey." He pulled me to lay on his chest and I did. "I'm sorry I had you kill a man." I felt a tear roll down my cheek. I sniffled. "I feel like the worst grandfather right now." I shook my head crying silently.

"You're not." I finally whispered. He held me tighter comforting me.

"You have to know something honey." He took a deep breath. "I know this is probably the worst time to tell you but I cannot keep it any longer." He said making me panic. I sat straight again looking at him.

"Grandpa what is it?" I asked nervously. I could feel my eyes pour out more tears and he noticed my hurt but he smiled and he held my hand shaking his head as if telling me not to cry.

"I was diagnosed with leukemia when I retired to Cleveland and apparently I have stopped responding to treatment so I have less than five months left to live now."

End of flashback

I looked at the frozen lake and smiled reminiscing about the past. "I miss swimming in there during the summer." I heard Caleb chuckle. He came to stand next to me.