Chapter 6

"Not going to the mall like other teenage girls do on Saturdays?" I jumped and looked at where this voice was coming from. "I'm sorry I scared you I didn't mean to."

Caleb

"It's okay." I sat straight and looked at him. "What were you saying?" He came to sit next to me on the couch.

"I was asking if don't you go to the mall like other teenage girls do on Saturdays." I chuckled and shook my head.

"I have exams this week so I was studying" I pointed my books on the table. "And besides I'm just not in the best mood to be around people." He nodded.

"So not only is my little sister cute but smart and responsible." He smiled and I realised that was the first time I was seeing him smile.

Even his smile is like that of dad's. He really is my brother.

"You think I'm cute?" He gasped sarcastically.

"You don't have a mirror in your room? I need to get someone to put one ASAP." I burst out laughing holding my stomach.

"You're really funny" he chortled and then looked at me for a while.

"Hey I'm sorry I wasn't introduced to you earlier. I understand if you're feeling betrayed, I felt the same way too when I found out my father was alive. Worse part is I couldn't be angry at my mom for lying about my father's existence cause I didn't want to have a horrible picture of us as the last picture of my mother in my memory."

"I'm sorry"

"Don't be it's not your fault." He said.

"So your mom never mentioned our father while you were growing up?" He sighed.

"She told me my father was from Cuba and died in a car accident. She never really liked talking about him so I decided to let it be thinking it hurts her when she talks about him but it kept on bugging me that I had a Davison last name and in Cuba there aren't really any Davisons." He explained. "When I was ten we moved back to America. California to be precise."

"To family? Your mother's side of the family I mean." I asked but he shook his head.

"My mother was an only child. My grandparents died when I was eight." My heart raced when I remembered I lied to Meg about Caleb's aunt.

"Oh." I muttered. The room was quiet for a good few minutes until he spoke again.

"I was just like you when I met our father you know. Quiet. I also wasn't sure if we'd get along or even how to start a conversation with him." He chuckled as if remembering those awkward days with dad.

"How did you know I wasn't sure abou-"

"You're easy to read Kid besides you remind me a lot about myself at your age." did he just call me Kid?

"No I think we're different." He crooked his eyebrow.

"How?"

"I'm cute and you're not." We both burst out laughing so hard. He was actually very handsome like dad, I was just teasing him.

"Nice one kid." Who would've thought we'd get along so well.

"You know Caleb I thought you were one of those annoying, ever-so-serious, arrogant businessmen dad always made fun of." He chuckled.

"That's harsh. Why would you think that?" He looked amused rather than hurt.

"When I first saw you, you just gave me a blank stare with no emotions. I couldn't really figure out what you're like. You didn't even smile or talk." He chuckled then faced me.