Chapter 57

Week 21: The baby's spleen, liver and bone marrow are working hard to produce much needed red blood cells. The baby is 400 grams and 26.9 centimetres.

_________________________________________

Caleb's POV

I got out of the shower and dried myself out. I finished moisturising my skin and took a good look at myself in the mirror. Kyla was right. I looked horrible. What was it with Davisons and alcohol? Dad also drank too much when he was stressed out. I chuckled remembering how he joked about me giving him my liver when we were doing a DNA test after we first met. I sighed and continued staring at the mirror reminiscing about the past.

Flashback

"Damnit!" I heard a loud crushing sound from the the office door. I knocked and no one answered. I knocked again. "Come in!" I walked in to the site of my father's office a mess. He aggressively gulped the whiskey in his glass in one go and banged the glass on his desk.

"Dad what is going on? What happened to you?" I asked worried about him. He poured another drink and took it into his system. He handed me a piece of paper.

I read through the letter and it was from the health officials. They were shutting down a construction in Brooklyn because of pollution and apparently people were getting sick.

"What?" I looked at him and he swallowed his drink.

"Someone did this!! They are trying to mess with me!!" He threw the glass on the wall making me flinch. "Before I started that project I made sure that it was clean. They freaking gave me the greenlight because all the inspections were properly done and I was free to continue with it." He yelled and I swallowed hard.

For a kind hearted man, we had something in common. The temper. I understood why he was upset though. I would be upset too if someone tried to jeopardize my construction.

"Dad I'm sure there is something that can be done. Or we can talk to someone." He laughed.

"Caleb listen. My hands are tied. I am not allowed to do anything at the moment. My workers were instructed to stop working. Do you realise how many millions I'm losing every minute that there is no work done?" He shouted.

I looked at the paper again. I browsed through the letter again and it mentioned that the investigation would take months. I sighed and my eyes landed on the person who signed the authority to continue with the investigation.

"Martha Gilbert." I said.

"What?" I looked at dad who looked confused. I quickly sat down and showed him the name.

"Dad I know this woman. She was very close to my mother." He looked at me finding it hard to believe what I was saying. "Dad I'm sure if I can talk to her and make her see reason this nightmare can be over."

"Caleb no I don't think that is a good idea. She can take it wrongly and accuse you of bribery." He shook his head but I insisted.

"Please let me help you dad I am sure she won't see it like that. I think there must be some sort of explanation for this. Maybe she doesn't know about the first inspection." He looked at me for a moment.

"Son I don't want you to get in trouble because of me. You know bad publicity after this setup is the last thing I need right now." He pressed.

"I know that but trust me. I won't disappoint." I stood up. "I'll call you if something went wrong." I fastened my button and walked to the door.

"Son." He called. "Thank you." I smiled and gave him a nod.

"I'll get the cleaners to come and sort out this mess." I said walking out.