Chapter 11

I finished putting on my earrings just as someone knocked on the door.

"Coming!" I took my clutch bag then went to the door and opened it.

"Wow! Kid is that you?" I giggled at Caleb's sarcasm.

"No it's mom" we were both in fits of laughter.

"Come on we're running late." I closed my door then we headed downstairs. Jerry was already waiting outside to take us to the gala.

Caleb wore a matte black Armani suit with a white shirt and a bow tie. I think it's easier being a man, you just wear a suit to anything. Even if you repeat it no one even notices. I loved his shoes though. They looked very classy.

"You both look lovely." I blushed at Rose's words.

"Thank you Rose" we both said in unison.

"How about some pictures?"

"Just a few we're running late already." She quickly grabbed a camera after Caleb said we could only take a few. We took a few just like he said then we were off.

"Hey" he looked at me. "I never got to ask. How do you know Hilda and Linda so much?" His chuckle only told me he's amused by my question.

"Well I know her husband. He's a known businessman. I met Hilda in one of the galas I always attend. She was with her husband then the next gala I saw Linda with another businessman. As his date. I thought he was his daughter but a little birdie then told me they were together, that's when I figured out what kind of a girl she is. It was so disappointing to know she's the daughter of Mr Hill, he's such a great man." He explained and I nodded in understanding.

"How long have you been in the business world?" He seems to have been around a lot more than his age.

"Straight after college I worked with one of the great companies in the country. McGregor Industries. Mr McGregor was kind of like a father to me. He knew my mom and he took me under his wing as soon as I finished school. I'd attend almost everything with him. Galas, meetings just everything, until he died." I could see a hint of hurt in his eyes.

"I'm sorry"

"It's okay. By that time I had already met dad but just as one of the known billionaires in the country not as my father but every time I saw him I'd get this weird feeling of him being familiar. Like I've known him for years. Well that's until mom told me he's my father that I understood why I always had that feeling."

"And that's when you started working with him in the company?" He shook his head.

"I continued working at McGregor Industries because Mr McGregor had wrote in his will that I shall take over after his death just like dad did but his son fought me over that. He took me to court since he believed it was his birthright."

"Why wasn't he given the company in the first place? I mean it makes sense right? That's his son."

"Luke wasn't the best son to his father. He was a reckless brat so Mr McGregor didn't want his company to drown because of Luke, but don't worry he's changed now. He's a lot more responsible and the company is still thriving."

"That must have been so much drama. Him fighting for his father's company to be his and you fighting him back only to respect his father's wishes." He chuckled and shook his head again.

"Actually Kid I didn't even fight him. By the time I was called to court I had already drawn up everything for me to sign and hand it to him. As much as I understood why his father didn't want anything to do with him, I believed it was his right as his son to take over, I couldn't deny him that and it didn't make sense for me to stick around because the only reason for me to be there in the first place was dead."