Chapter 39

A few more days went by, making the day to finally leave home for college get closer everyday. I was going to leave home for the first time in forever.

Growing up I always stayed home. I was born and grew up in that house. It's the only home I've ever known.

My door unlocked and my brother walked in.

"Hey" he started.

"Hey" I greeted back.

"I um..." He sighed. "I know today is your last night here so I wanted you to have something." He revealed the box with a bow.

It was a medium sized box. I opened it quickly.

"Oh wow." I said starring at the shiny silver anklet in front of me. It had diamonds in the center of the band. "Waterproof?"

"Of course. Those are real diamonds Kid and it won't rust." I smiled pulling up my left side of my jean.

I put it on immediately and it fit perfectly.

"I love it." I kissed his cheek. "Thanks Caleb."

"I also made sure you had enough money for this month. I'll be doing that monthly now so you never lack." I giggled.

"Yeah I saw the money you sent. Honestly it wasn't necessary, I know we're millionaires and you're probably close to being a billionaire so a few hundred thousands isn't a big deal for you but I'm fine." He shook his head.

"I insist. I owe it to dad to take care of you." I smiled. Seeing him like this just made me really happy. So caring.

"Okay. I'll be back for Thanksgiving though so don't think you're getting rid of me." He chuckled.

"I can never succeed even if I tried."

...

One week later

"I don't feel like going out Hazel you both can go." I curled up on the couch.

"Stop being a boring bitch Kyla let's go." Meg whined.

"I don't feel too well." I fake cried on the cushion.

"Okay fine then we're all staying in and pretending to be sick." Hazel said taking her heels off. They both sat down.

It had been a week since we had been here. Besides the usual boring first week of school, it was getting to know our way around and knowing our professors.

The school had a lot of accommodation halls. It was a huge school so I wasn't surprised. One hall was more like the first years' hall. Most students were accommodated there since it was always a first choice for everyone. Scholarship students to be precise and those who couldn't afford to pay the expensive living costs of living outside the school where we were in. Apparently it was an odd year where students were way more than the expected ones so the dorms were full. Twenty-one of us were assigned to Parc Cameron.

The apartments had better rooms, more space, bedrooms, a small kitchen with a living room and a couch. There was also a TV. It felt more like your own small apartment if you were living alone like me.

Whereas Megan and Hazel were roommates. It was still a mystery how these two got to be roommates, I just couldn't believe it was just a coincidence but maybe it was.

I on the other hand got no roommate. At first I was thrilled because I never wanted to share with a stranger but I was so used to living with a lot of people back home that it was a bit weird. It's been a week though and I think I've finally gotten used to it. I told myself.