Chapter 53

Week 17: The fetus is beginning to form a layer of fat underneath the skin that they will use to regulate their body temperature. The fetus weighs above 180 grams and is 13 centimetres in size.

_________________________________________

I sat on one of the chairs in the room and took off my jacket. Today's weather was a bit harsh so I had to put on a jacket until now that I was feeling hot. It wasn't an issue letting them see my baby bump anymore since they already knew I was pregnant.

"Let me guess you're here to beat me up like you promised?" She finally looked at me and her eyes landed on my bulged stomach. "Wow. You are really pregnant." She whispered.

"Well I'm almost three months so I'm bound to start showing now and no. I'm not here to fight." I said honestly.

"It's okay I can take your punches, I deserve them anyway." I giggled.

"I am pretty sure you can't and besides like I told Hazel I don't want to give birth in a prison." She let out a pained curt chuckle.

"You would look horrible in that orange uniform." We all laughed lightly. "Do you think we'll ever be friends again? That you'll ever heal?" She asked softly.

"That is why I am here. I want us to reconcile." She looked away. I saw a tear roll down. She wiped it before it touched her cheek.

"That was unexpected considering how yesterday turned out." She said swallowing hard.

"Listen Meg, I still want us to be best friends. I know we both said a lot of things that hurt each of us but I cannot afford to lose another friend. Not right now. I lost Alec in highschool I cannot lose you too. Whatever you said I forgive you okay? And I hope you can forgive me too for calling you a spoilt brat." Her eyes met mine immediately. It was as if she couldn't believe what I just said.

"After everything I said? The hurtful things I said to you? Are you sure?" She wanted to cry now.

"I'm sure. I did a lot of thinking and I seriously don't want us to be enemies. My baby needs his/her godmother." Hazel smiled at me.

"Kyla I am so sorry." She sat with her legs hanging from the bed now, looking at me. "I didn't mean to talk about your past and parents like that. I just-" she took a deep breath wiping her tears. "Ever since you lost your parents I just always wanted to be there for you. In everything but now I realise times have changed. You don't only have me in your life, you have a boyfriend, Hazel, Clyde, Caleb and a bunch of others. It's unlike when we always together and we shared everything because we only had each other. So because of that I got jealous that I was now always the last person to know about what is happening in your life. I'm sorry Ky."

I had never seen it that way. All night I was wondering why she was always mad when I told her something and she wasn't the first to know. I just thought maybe that is how best friends react while she felt like I was neglecting her. I guess kind of like how in her family they always informed her last about important things. I now understood where all the anger and hurt came from.

"Meg trust me, I wish I could have told you guys earlier but I was so scared. I knew you wouldn't judge or betray me but I was scared to see the disappointment in your eyes. I feared it would crush me." I said every word looking straight into her eyes.

"I love you too much to see you that way Ky. I understand it was not your intention. I'm also sorry I said it was yesterday." I gave her a nod.

"It's okay." I stood up and sat next to her. "Hey. I promise to always be honest with you from now on." I held her hand and she nodded continuously.