Chapter 64

Week 28: The baby weighs 1.2 kilograms and is almost 38 centimetres in size. Reactions are stronger, body temperature is better controlled and breathing is rhythmic. Kicks and stretches become more noticeable.

________________________________________

Mark walked into the study with his laptop and a backpack. I swallowed my food and wiped my mouth.

"Good morning." He started.

"Hey man. How are you doing?" Caleb asked when he sat down.

"I'm good." He answered shortly.

"This is my little sister Kyla by the way." We shook hands.

"Nice to meet you." He said politely.

"Nice to meet you too." I said.

"Did you find anything?" Caleb asked.

"Um yeah I just don't know if it's useful for now. The guy is almost clean." He said opening his laptop.

"Or knows how to leave no marks behind." I added. They both gave a stare but Mark continued with explaining.

"He's an only child, his parents died in a faulty construction situation when it collapsed. He was ten years of age when it happened." He explained.

"So how has been surviving and what is his source of wealth?" I asked.

"Your family's foundation program since his parents worked for your grandfather. It offered him scholarships to many amazing schools. His source of wealth? Well he has a tech company. Caleb probably knows that." I looked over at my brother.

"Yeah he bought it a few years ago." He bought a whole company? Wow. I stood up so I could pace around. It always helped me think clearly.

"Okay so all you have right now is he's clean and I'm just being paranoid?" I asked.

"I hacked into his company software since his phone and personal computer is clean. I found something there it's just that it does not link Reid to any of it." I looked at him immediately.

"What did you find?" I asked.

"On the night your parents had an accident, it seems like earlier that day one of his employees was working on programming a different device. One they don't specialise in or do at all."

"What was it?" I asked quickly.

"I couldn't quite figure out exactly since I'm not in that field of work but it had different codes and a different routine. It was obviously not a device used by ordinary people." He said.

"Wait so this device what happened to it after the programmer was done with it?" Caleb asked.

"It wasn't sold, so it was either for personal use or sold using the black market." I got frustrated everything wasn't pointing to Reid.

"Is it possible to check the black market to see if it was sold there?" I asked.

"I already did and it wasn't." He said. "It was definitely for personal use. I grew eager to know what this device was." He said and then showed us his laptop.

"What?" I gasped. "That looks like a bomb right?" I asked.

"Yes. I had to do some digging and make a few calls. It's a new kind of bomb, it works with WiFi. You can explode this even when you're miles away as long as it's in an area that has a signal." Mark explained.

"The car had a bomb underneath so does this mean this is the bomb?" I asked.

"It's highly possible since I traced where it last picked up a signal and it was around where your parents' car was found and coincidentally it was the last time it read any signal." He explained.