But not with the wolves

Yang Yu Teng stepped into Sam's office after a crucifying journey from the ground floor. He slumped his back on the sofa. Holding closely within his shaky hands the still warm wrapped bento box he had brought from home on his lap, he sighed unknowingly loud. Maybe it was because he had not left home for many days, he had forgotten how hated he was in the world outside his own. Ignoring the lurid glares of those who didn't know better were easy, turning a deaf ear on the deliberate harsh words was bearable but to bear witness to the bitter not-so-hushed revilings towards Sam was heartbreaking. In the end, though he did save Sam his position in the company, he still made Sam the perfect target for worse-than-blows insults. A working mind would clearly hear the intentional crass words were just to make him feel bad about himself, still it toiled well for a great turmoil of thoughts within his head.

Nevertheless, he was worrying over useless things. There's no way the workers there would speak ill of Sam so brazenly if Sam was there within earshot. The talkers would freeze when Sam walked by and those who listened would not be so courageous to report their colleagues to the big boss, unless they risked getting some sort of punishment as well. It was Yang Yu Teng who they didn't care for, especially when he's alone, looking all delicate and vulnerable. That, and the fact that they had been silent on the matter, making people's demand for explanation and punishment felt ignored, eventhough it didn't concern them whatsoever. He was a perfect target for boredom chitchat or just pure jealousy.

The man at the desk, ignored and greeting left unanswered, typed the last word on the document he had been working on since the morning and leaned heavily against his chair, making a creaking sound that at least helped the other man to snap from his powerless trance.

"Bao?"

"Yeah?" Yang Yu Teng smiled, honest yet forced.

It wasn't hard to discern Yang Yu Teng's smiles; his cat eyes would halve in size and in a happier occasion, his youthful skin at the corner of his eyes would even slightly crinkle and his brows would jump in joy. But, none of those was Sam seeing then, hence, it wasn't a smile. "Who bothered you?"

"Huh?" Yang Yu Teng let out a mix of chuckle and sigh before placing the bento box on the table in front of him and walked towards Sam's desk, with that awkward smile still plastered on his face. "What are you talking about? I'm fine."

Sam narrowed his eyes, watching as Yang Yu Teng took a seat on his favourite spot on the desk after pushing some of the documents aside. He can't be mad that I ask him to bring me lunch, Sam thought to himself. "Did you take a taxi here? I told you Ray can pick you up."

"Bus. It's really okay, I enjoyed the bus ride. It's fun."

Sam was pretty sure Yang Yu Teng didn't know what fun means but he wasn't about to dwell on that.

"Have you ever ridden a bus?" Yang Yu Teng asked to keep the subject on anything else other than his benumbed face that obviously shows south of being okay but the answer shocked him nonetheless.

"No."

This man must be joking, he thought. "Not even for a school trip?"

"I had someone drive me to school trips," Sam glanced at his watch to see that it was nearing noon. Swiftly, he turned his monitor off and tidied up his table before heading towards where the food was.

What's the point then? Wasn't the ride the fun part of trips? Amidst Yang Yu Teng thinking, a sly smile crept up on his face.

"Then... Let's go home by bus! I'll wait until you finish your work." A crude laugh followed his suggestion. Honestly, the idea of riding the bus with Sam was appealing, but he simply didn't want to walk alone amongst the wolves again.

"You don't have to wait long, we can go home after lunch."

That, coming from someone who had been busy everyday was a pleasant surprise. He would rather count his blessings than to ask why.

He watched his husband gobbled up the rice and unagi while feeding him because apparently, the journey from their house to the office had consumed all the energy he had left and thus leaving him unable to lift a spoon.

"Let's go," Sam had already wrapped the bento and stood, arm extended waiting to be received.

Yang Yu Teng left him hanging, stretching his body on his seat trying to let another minute or hour past. "Where?"

"Home."

"Mm," he blinked, his facial expression utterly inconsistent in between wanting to go back to the privacy of their own abode and having to walk through the very unnecessarily long lobby many stories below. "Can't we stay a while longer?" Lunch hour was almost over, he could just imagine the amount of people walking about right now.

Then, he remembered something before Sam could respond. "You have a private elevator right?" He jumped to his feet. "Right? You told me you do."

"Yeah, you called it —"

"The royal carriage!" He snapped his fingers in celebration, problem averted. He pulled Sam's hand to walk out of the office, only to stop when he saw a couple of staffs chatting by the elevator hall.

Taking a step back, he whispered, "Where's your royal carriage?"

"It's the other way around," Sam was wearing his usual face, though he could somewhat figure out what was eating in Yang Yu Teng's brain since the man arrived.

"Well, take me there," Yang Yu Teng urged while pulling his sleeves. "Let's go."

"You're the one who pulled me here," Sam shrugged before taking the man's hand and walked towards the elevator. The two workers who had just realized their presence, scrambled away after a rushed greeting.

Yang Yu Teng glanced at his watch and again distressed over the fact that lunch hour was barely over. "But I want to ride your royal carriage," he pleaded right when one of the elevators dinged and opened its door to an unsuspecting employee that apparently found something to be funny from the way he was trying to stifle his laugh.

Sam cleared his throat, and walked into the empty elevator with Yang Yu Teng while the man kept on pressing the door open for him while managing to talk about work. "Boss, I need to talk to you about the Tainan properties acquisition."

"Get in."

Yang Yu Teng had gone through Sam's wardrobe enough to know that the man was not just a regular employee through his attire. His easy-going personality even when talking business with Sam made Yang Yu Teng believed that they should at least be close acquaintance.

"You handle it, you're the lawyer," Sam responded after the man finished his rundown.

The man nodded, pressingthe elevator door closed time to time, not allowing anyone else to get in."So...," the man in maroon suit raised his brows and directed the tail of his eyestowards Yang Yu Teng. "You call your dick the royal carriage now?"