What do you think?

Yang Yu Teng sat by his father's bed, listless. The rise and fall of the old man was a comfort to his muddled mind. He lifted his knees and hugged them tight under the blanket the nurse had given him earlier. He sneered at Sam for moving his father there but the armchair was bigger and way comfier than the one he had on the fifth floor and that simple thing alone was already making him felt like he didn't want to move to another room anymore. And for that, he felt pathetic. The large window that was covered with a curtain during the day was directly in Yang Yu Teng's view. He could see the faraway lights of Taipei city, twinkling and winking as if comforting him. The memory from that afternoon came rushing in.

"Please, Zi Hong. I'll do anything." The tears that were brimming had already fallen. He could not bear to think if his father would ever leave him.

Sam who already had a thick list of harsh words he would say to the man on the tip of his tongue, found himself rather perplexed at a sudden twitch in his heart. "Why are you crying? Stop crying, will you?"

"Please.. I don't have anyone else. My father, save him please."

"Only if you stop crying, Yu Teng." If it was taken without context, it was as if Sam was comforting Yang Yu Teng, that he'd do anything to stop Yang Yu Teng from crying but they were nothing but enemies. It was nothing but a threat in Yang Yu Teng's ears.

Wiping the tears on his face, he took a deep breath and begged again, "What do you want me to do? I'll do anything. Can you not touch my father? Please?"

It was the third time Yang Yu Teng said that he would do anything. Sam just wanted to scare the man a bit but now that the man seemed to be more than scared, he felt that it would be too embarrassing to just laugh it off and say "I'm joking". Right?

"Anything?" Sam looked down at the hand that was holding his, "Anything at all?"

Yang Yu Teng shook his head. He needed to sleep. He needed to go to work tomorrow, even if his world came crumbling down, he still needed to earn money. He could've lied on the sofa and sleep comfortably but he refused to, not wanting to give in to Sam's act of 'benevolence' of giving his father the VIP room. He shut his eyes tight, wrapped the blanket around him tighter, and let his exhaustion took his consciousness away.

>>>

A couple of days later, Sam finished most of his works and left the office early again. On the way to the hospital, he opened up his tablet and clicked on the contract he was supposed to sign by the end of the day. He was only on the second line of the ten-page contract when Ray sounded from the driver's seat in front.

"You'll be dizzy reading in the car, Sam."

"Right.." Sam pouted, turned the screen off, and looked out the window instead. The car ride was quiet since Sam did not like to have the radio on and Ray himself was not much of a talker. But then, the man spoke again.

"About that boy, are you sure?"

Was he sure? Not really.

"He said that he'd do anything. I don't have anything I want from him so I just said the first thing that came to my mind." Even Sam felt like his excuse was a bit too.. weird.. but, whatever.

"You could've asked him why he ruined your wedding, but you do you."

Sam shifted his gaze from the window towards the front mirror, catching the look on his own eyes. Right. Why didn't I think of that? As it happened, he just realized he did not even think of Ke Fang when the fact was, she was the only one he could think of this past year.