He IS ugly aight?

It was at noon that day when they got back from the hospital. When Ray saw that his two bosses weren't getting out of the car after the silent 30 minutes journey, he instinctively went out and waited outside instead. Through the clear glass wall he parked in front of, he gandered at the mild drizzle despite the clear skies, signalling the nearing change of seasons.

Sam still sat on the back seat of the car, tapping his finger on his knee as he waited for the man beside him to say something. Impatient, he eventually poked the man on his arm, causing the man to take a deep breath, evidently startled.

"Sorry, we're here?" Yang Yu Teng asked, sighing.

"What are you thinking about since the hospital?"

"Nothing.."

"We talked to your father, he looked great. The doctor said so too. He'll be transferred into the normal ward soon. Stop worrying already."

Yang Yu Teng nodded. He was worried about his dad, but he had been worrying about something else too. He watched the concerned look on the man's eyes. It hadn't been a week since they got married but Yang Yu Teng could already see Sam in a different light. The man although rough in his words, seemed to have a lot of care in his heart too. If not, why would he bother comforting him, the one he hated?

"You don't have to cook today. I'll just order in."

"It's fine. I want to cook. You can wait right?"

Sam lifted his chin slightly, answering with a simple "Mn." Of course he could wait, why would he want to eat delivery food when Yang Yu Teng's were much better? He at first was bewildered when Yang Yu Teng started to prepare his meals, but he decided to not question it lest he wanted Yang Yu Teng to be annoyed and stop cooking altogether. He remembered Ray telling him that Yang Yu Teng had asked about him and Ke Fang a couple of days ago, he wondered if it had anything to do with the man's sudden change of attitude.

"What are you cooking today?" Sam had already changed into his linen short sleeve shirt and lounge pants. He leaned over the kitchen island facing the man currently washing some salads and tomatoes in the sink.

He watched as the man gave him a quick 'I don't have to answer you' glance before continuing his pacing back and forth in the kitchen.

"You're not changing your clothes first?" Sam watched the rolled up sleeves of the shirt Yang Yu Teng had worn to the hospital just now. He very much wanted to have the man throw the shirt into the hot oil and never see it again but on second thought, the no-brand black shirt with thin white stripes on it looked rather good on the man.

"It's fine," Yang Yu Teng stopped to face Sam and flicked his drenched hands, causing drops of water to fall on Sam's face. Only when he saw Sam closed his eyes and pursed his lips did Yang Yu Teng realised he may had gone too far.

"I.."

After wiping the water on his face, Sam gave Yang Yu Teng a smirk and started to walk around the island to open a few of the cabinets there, trying to look for something. "Let me see~,"

"Ahah! I knew Ma left me one," Sam waived a folded fabric open for a grey apron to take shape. "Come, I'll put it on for you."

"You wear it. I'm fine," Yang Yu Teng disregarded the man and focused on his searing pan.

Sam walked closer to the stove and caught him by the wrist, forcing the man to put down his spatula. With a pull, Yang Yu Teng was facing him, "I'm not the one cooking and I hate people who smell like oil."

He expected a fit of pique from the man but what he got was something else. Yang Yu Teng just looked down on the floor, saying "It's too late," in a low voice.

Amused with the response, Sam decided to take it further. Putting on the apron around Yang Yu Teng's neck, he leaned forward and tilted his head near the man's neck, breathing in the familiar smell that he noticed had somewhat filled his house recently. His intention to poke a button of the now seemingly obedient man was clear, until what he thought was a cheap cologne's fragrant went up his nose and rode on his heart instead, sending it galloping.

"It's not, you still smell okay," Sam said with a naughty smirk, trying to hide the sudden surge of inexplicable feeling with a mask of playfulness. His lips however, turned stiff when the eyes of the other man met his.

"I mean, you already hate me so why does it matter how I smell.."

Like a cat that lost interest with his dying prey, except that the cat was now having mixed feelings when seeing the prey all limp, he widened their distance by a step and took back the apron into his hand, "Nevermind! You look even uglier in this. Just cook, I'm starving."

As Sam turned and walked away from the kitchen to go play with his Little Prince in the living room, Yang Yu Teng's gaze shifted to the ring he had taken off and placed on the kitchen island before he started cooking earlier. He had no idea what the ring was made of but it was silvery and shiny, with its edge carved inward like the ends of sharp leaves, a darker band ran through the middle, embellished with sparkling square stones. He initially took great care of the ring, afraid he would lose or scratch it somehow, thinking he'd have to return it to Sam sooner or later but now, just thinking of returning it made him felt conflicted. Sure it would be easy if he could just throw the ring and said bye but when that time comes, how much of his past deed he would have to already pay?