Was it a good dream?

Sam stared blankly over the still blue water in the swimming pool a level below. It was already past three in the morning but the sleep just wouldn't welcome him. He ran his fingers through the hair that the wind kept sent awry, thinking of Ray's report the day before. That Yang Yu Teng and Ke Fang did meet in Taiwan a few weeks before their wedding. There were only a couple of photos as evidence but who knows how many more of such things that Ray had yet to find. There was also that pink paper bag that he had no idea where Yang Yu Teng kept.

When he heard the rustles of fabrics from behind him, he turned. The lustre of the moonlight fell upon the figure wearing thin cotton pajamas, currently tossing and turning on his bed, their bed. He wanted to pull all his hairs for even thinking of marrying Yang Yu Teng. He could take it if Yang Yu Teng fell in love with Ke Fang but if Ke Fang turned out to really be cheating on him behind his back back then, then wouldn't all this just be a big joke on himself?

But even in his agony, he still walked inside from their balcony and closed the sliding door, seeing that the cold chilly air had caused discomfort for the other man. What an ugly guy, he thought. This man that couldn't even keep the frown off his face while sleeping, how could Ke Fang even like him? He really hoped that that wasn't the case. Then the frown of the man deepened.

"What are you dreaming about.." Sam kneeled on the floor, leaning towards the guy and held out his hand to brush the unruly flocks of hair that had been poking the man's face aside. He sat there for a while, trying to see if this man is any better looking than him. Sam's eyes traced the small pointy nose that flared whenever the man moved in his sleep, the defined jaw that had no trace of pores and blemishes, the slightly chapped lips sometimes spoke of incoherent words in his sleep and the adam's apple that jutted up and down his slender neck when he swallowed.

This man.. is ugly.. Right? Sam felt like the more the man frowned, the uglier he gets. 

Sam pushed his finger softly on the man's forehead to try and keep the frown away, he had seen it on TV before and it usually works. But the one who frowned instead, was Sam, no matter what he did, the lines on the man's forehead creased even deeper. Lifting his finger, he then brought his palm to gently place it on, as if checking for fever. Surely, if one finger wouldn't work, five would do the job, right?

Under the warmth of his own hand, he felt the skin under it relaxed. As he was about to lift his hand, the man pulled his hand down and hugged it to sleep, not before resting his face on Sam's arm, taking a deep sniff before he ceased any movement. Sam who almost flinched at the sudden move, tilted his head as he saw the man's mouth turned up slightly.

Locked in his current position, Sam started to regret his decision to go near the man in the first place but the smile on the man's face that only lasted a few seconds gave him a sense of accomplishment. Turning his body slightly to lean against the bedside table, he watched the now soundly sleeping man.

"Are you tired..?" Sam asked and answered the question on his own. Of course the man was tired. It was two days after Mr. Yang's surgery and the old man still hadn't come out of the CICU. Although Yang Yu Teng was only able to see his old man a few minutes a day, he still went there asking the doctor his father's condition every time he could manage. Even if he wasn't physically drained, he must have been stressed. The exact reason Sam couldn't bring himself to confront him about Ke Fang yet.

Sam roughly ruffled his hair with his one free hand. Thinking about Ke Fang was making all the worries he had earlier came rushing back in. He, looking at the sleeping man suddenly felt pity of himself who wasn't able to properly sleep, so he pulled his hand away, causing the man to go back to frowning before turning his back towards Sam to resume his deep slumber.

Sam sighed and went downstairs, took a can of beer from the fridge and started downing it all. He walked with a new pack of beers, opened the rear door towards the pool and sat there on the floor, leaning on the door. To him, having his whole body freeze over could at least help him shoo all his muddled thoughts away. He couldn't see it from where he sat but his eyes were fixated on the faraway darkness in front of him. The vast green lawn a level below led to a greenhouse he had long since visited. He wondered if the flowers there still bloom as beautiful as the last time he saw them. He opened another can of beer, it doesn't matter anymore.