My problem

In spite of Sam's advice, Yang Yu Teng still went to work the next day. The look he got from his colleagues and students were nothing compared to what Sam was facing, he thought. Chih Tian was right, the attention was mostly on Sam so Yang Yu Teng could easily go about his day smoothly, doing exactly what Sam had told him to do; wait.

That was until the judging look he received turned to ones of pity.

"Poor thing, he must've suffered a lot..," he heard the teachers at the tables behind him whispered, rather loudly in the teachers room. Knowing that the topic of conversations in the school had been about him these couple of days, he naturally felt like they were talking about him. He was about to turn and ask what they were talking about when his phone rang.

He looked at the unknown number on his phone screen and decided not to answer.

"Mr. Yang, are the news true?" a teacher approached his table, holding his shoulder with a concerned face.

He wanted to tell them that the news was not true, that Sam wasn't as the news depicted him to be, but he didn't want to go against Sam's instructions. He shouldn't say anything.

"Are you okay? Is that why you sometimes wear turtlenecks?" another one came over, sitting on Chih Tian seat, prompting a few others to crowd around him, asking question that didn't make any sense. "Did you go to the police?"

"What are you guys talking about?" his voice raised to overcome the loud chatter around him.

"You don't have to be ashamed, it happened to a lot of people. We're here for you if you need-"

"What the hell are you talking about? What..," Yang Yu Teng gulped, watching another unknown number on the phone he silenced just a while ago. An ominous feeling engulfed his entire being as he tried to make sense of every word his colleagues and friends said just now.

He promptly tried to search the internet using his phone but the ceaseless calls were making it impossible to even type in a word, so he turned on his laptop and started googling Sam's name.

"Yu Teng!- Haihh, you guys, don't you have work to do? Go away," Chih Tian shoved the teachers away, claiming back his seat to take his breath after running from his class on another building.

He roared at the teachers who still stood nearby to hear their conversations before poking is friend. "Yu Teng," he called again, only to see Yang Yu Teng sat unblinking reading the articles on his laptop.

"You found out?"

Yang Yu Teng dipped his head, supporting his temples as he heard another worry-sounding 'encouragement' from the teachers.

"It's okay, it'll pass."

"He's rich, you can sue him and make him pay."

"Did you take pictures? You'll need them as evidence."

Bam! Yang Yu Teng slammed his palms on his table as he stood and turned around to regard the people he had lost respect of. Chih Tian swiftly followed suit, stroking his back to calm him down.

"Zi Hong didn't beat me! He didn't beat anyone!" he could feel his throat constricting against his words. "I wasn't hospitalized because he beat me!"

"Yeah! They had sex until he lost his mind, what do you guys know?!" Chih Tian added.

"And I wear turtlenecks because I have hickeys! I have plenty on my chest now, wanna see?!"

Pity and worries were written all over the teachers face, not a sign of taking any of his words seriously.

"Mr. Yang, we understand.. Please calm down.."

Yang Yu Teng huffed, finally understanding why Sam said that explaining wouldn't make things better. People would only believe in things they want to believe in and what Yang Yu Teng did, was just making himself look like a fool in love, a coping victim.

A dry-beaten scoff escaped his mouth, "This is ridiculous, I'm leaving."

Chih Tian, his busybody nature helped Yang Yu Teng in many ways that day. Prodding around Ray, he got to know just how deep in trouble Sam was in especially since even the police had taken interest in the abuse claim. But that was nothing as compared to the loses he incurred, investors he lost and now, he might even lose his position in the company.

That night, Sam got home even later than usual, looking gaunter than ever; but still, there's a smile on his face.

"Are you going straight to bed?" Yang Yu Teng was sitting on the bed, looking calmer than usual. He patted Sam's pillow and pulled the duvet over to clear the space for the freshly-showered man.

"Mn, I have to go to work early tomorrow."

"Do you have anything special tomorrow?" Yang Yu Teng feigned ignorance despite knowing that the company had called for an emergency board meeting.

"Mn," Sam smiled, pulling the duvet to cover both him and Yang Yu Teng.

Lying down on his side, Yang Yu Teng watched Sam closed his eyes for a while before he spoke, "You lied to me."

"Huh?" the man opened his heavy eyes.

"About the mermaid, there's no such thing in that lake."

"Oh." Sam pecked the pouty lips before pinching Yang Yu Teng's cheek. "Only kids would believe stories like that."

"Are you calling me a kid now?"

Sam laughed and shrugged.

"Also, about the ghosts, there's nothing like that too."

"What ghost?"

"You said that you have friends in every room in this house. Ghost friends."

"I did?"

"You don't remember?" Yang Yu Teng gritted his teeth, "Do you know how scared I was the first few weeks living here? I'm still scared!"

"I don't. How would I know if you don't tell me?"

The smug smile on the handsome face reminded Yang Yu Teng of how precious the night was, of how he wished the morning wouldn't come and have the man talk to him all night long, "I hate you." He turned away, hugging his pillow tight as he blew air onto the tears that was threatening to fall down.

"No you don't."

"Yes I do."

"Impossible."

"I hate you."

"Fine, I love you anyway."

"..." Yang Yu Teng didn't need Sam to tell him that again and again; the words that were still able to send butterflies in his stomach had also become awfully prickling. But still, he wanted to hear it again, hopeful that every time would not be the last one. He wanted to say 'I love you' back but his breath had already lost their pace and before he realized it, his body had been overtaken by a tremor.

"Aww, poor thing. What else did I-" the man pulled him to turn, "Hey.. are you crying?"

What a stupid question. His face was red and wet and he had started sobbing, if that wasn't crying then what is?

"Bao.."

"I'm scared.." Yang Yu Teng's voice was croaky, his throat thick. "Zi Hong, I'm scared."

Sam at that time was sure he had not been a good husband- how did he not know that Yang Yu Teng was this scared to ghosts? "Shh, I'm here, I'm here," he pulled the man into his embrace, stroking the man's hair gently, "No ghost can harm you.. I'm here."