Why is my father like this?

His eyes gazed vacantly at the familiar faces sitting in the front rows. His thin lips quivered as he forced every muscle in his face to lift it up, more so when his eyes fell upon the man in the wheelchair, smiling at him proudly as if he had done anything right.

Then, the man standing beside him was smiling too, a smile he knew the meaning behind. Wouldn't a tiger dance when a deer walked into his den willingly? The eyes that could do nothing but send cold sweats in his eyes, he averted. When the band around his finger caught the light of the cascading chandelier up above did he realized that everyone was waiting for him to do the same too. Then, he did it swiftly; there's no lingering look and no affectionate stolen touches. It took him not five seconds to put the ring on Sam's finger, but in his mind, it felt like forever, forever that he waited for someone to take him out of his bad dream.

But then, it was not a dream and the forever is over just like that.

Two palms cupped his upper arms, and their lips met. Then, it was the sound of people clapping and rejoicing, but the sound that came just from six feet away, felt so distant under the ringing in his ears. He had no idea where he placed his hands or how the lips on his own felt, but the fact that his eyes traced, it was never that close, well until that day. Their wedding day.

The kiss ended with a hug, and unlike a hug that pulled a man closer to warmth, the squeeze and the pat behind his back served as an icy reminder, a reminder of the start of his torment.

Just before the newlywed parted their hug, the slightly taller man brushed the other's ears with his lips, whispering only for his now-husband to hear, "Till death do us part."

Sam's lips that had not estranged from his charming smile, turned even wider as his eyes met the distinguished guests sitting just behind his parent and his father-in-law. Did he plan to have his wedding so big even the president of Taiwan would come to give him blessings? No. But he did not plan on hiding it either. He was the sole heir to the country's biggest economic contributor afterall.

The formal reception was boring, he thought. He stood there with a glass of wine in his hand, ignoring his group of friends, and watched around the magnanimous hall in the Xinshe Castle. He had known each and every face there, since before he started working for his father, and the clanking of glasses and nectary praises he received as a newlywed was nothing but business. After painstakingly introducing Yang Yu Teng to every important person there was, lying his way through every question about their relationship, he felt like he needed a long break.

His eyes caught the sight of his parent and his now expanded family, laughing and talking around a table at the corner of the hall. He had noticed it since the man walked into the hall to become his husband, this man, Yang Yu Teng, was not really that bad looking, especially in the light beige three-piece suit his mother had prepared for him. Sam was glad thinking that at least, his wedding pictures would not be as unsightly as he thought it would be; he still needed to save his face, okay?

On second look, Sam realized something else, why is this man so happy? But then, the man could easily fake his smile but what about his parent? Why is his parent so happy to have such an unlucky-looking son-in-law? Sam shook his head.

"Mr. Sam here seemed like he cannot take his eyes off his husband."

"He's thinking of his wedding night, maybe."

"Relax bro, it's only 5 p.m."

The teasing from his friends, he did not care to respond to. His mind flew back to three days ago, when his father called him back for a family dinner.

"Me and Ma will handle your wedding for you."

Sam waited for his mother to put the dishes in his bowl and started eating, not bothering to wait for his father to start first. "Why?"

"What do you mean why? We're your parent," His mother answered.

"I mean, why are you suddenly agreeing to this? I still won't bring him to see you," it was indeed weird for Sam to see his father change his mind so quickly when just a day ago, he was questioning or rather, objecting to Sam's decision.

Mr. Lin finally picked up his chopstick to pick up a steamed dumpling while saying with an unconcerned voice, "Doesn't matter. We met him already."

"Who?"

"That man you want to marry. He's nice."

Impossible. It doesn't seem like Ma recognize him before. If the man was really him, why would his father still be this calm? Wouldn't the man have told on Sam already? Sam shook his worries away and resumed eating, "You must've gotten the wrong person."

"He's good-looking."

Sam scoffed, he can at least try to look nice if he tries harder.

"He has a great job."

Yeah, right. Why would he wear that ugly ass suit he probably picked up from the roadside then? And that fake watch? And that shoes that had already lost all their shine?

"He's clever too."

Pfft, Sam was pretty sure his father was talking about someone else. He put down his chopstick on his bowl and looked at his father while drawing in a deep breath.

"Dad, you got the wrong person. I told you, he's--"

"He's not ugly," Mr. Lin cut in.

Sam pitched forward, the table shook as his body hit, "I never said he's ugly Pa!"

"He's not that poor."

"But he is Pa."

"He's not stupid either."

"When did I ever say he's stupid?"

"He speaks pretty well if you ask me."

Sam let out a loud sigh, his back slumped on the chair, "Whatever."

"That man is Mr. Yang's son. The man in the room next to me at the hospital."

So, Pa didn't meet the wrong person then? Sam blinked, but he kept his silence. His mind was running at a speed even he couldn't comprehend. He needed an excuse in case Yang Yu Teng had already told his father about his doings.

"Mr. Yang said he don't mind you marrying his son. So, we already agreed on the wedding for you. Just tell me when."

The corner of Sam's eyes swept over his parent's faces. There wasn't a hint of sarcasm in his voice and his mother was nodding so eagerly. "Are you serious Pa? You don't mind me marrying him?"

"Why would I?"

Sam's lips turned into a smile, a mix of relief and indelicate thoughts. "Then, in three days."

Sam saw his father's brows snapped together for the first time that evening.

"That soon? Don't you want to wait until after Mr. Yang's surgery?"

"Well, what if the surgery went bad, Pa? I'm sure Uncle Yang wants his son to get married before-"

"Haiya, son! Don't say such a thing," a slap fell on his arm. The old couple looked at each other and nodded slowly, finding logic in Sam's words. "Then, we'll arrange your wedding in three days."

Sam was too busy wondering about his father's behavior, he did not realize a familiar voice calling for him. A soft voice that could bring him back to the past, "Sam.." 

The Wedding Breaker (SAMYU AU FF)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें