Why Are You Walking Like That?

"Ma, you don't have to make so much food, there're only two of us living here," Sam slumped over his kitchen counter, taking a bite of his mother's side dishes that she had plated while watching her arrange all the extra side dishes in the refrigerator.

"I don't want my son-in-law to go starving. The last time you cook, we had to renovate the whole kitchen," his mother shook her head and sighed, as if remembering a nightmare. "You still owe me my favourite pan."

"It's not my fault the fire sprinkler went off."

Slapping his son's hand that had been stealing foods, she noticed her other son walking down the hallway, rather sheepishly in his striped shirt and loose pants. Evident from his bedhead, he hadn't taken a shower. "Yu Teng, why are you just standing there? Come."

"Mrs..uhh.. Ma.. I'm sorry, I just woke up. Have you been here long?" He glanced at the clock on the oven, it was already 10 a.m. "Here, let me help you." Yang Yu Teng walked towards the plated dishes and brought them all to the dining table near the island.

Sam who was still munching on the stir fried radish he had shoved in his mouth earlier, tilted his head as he saw the man's slow movement; almost limping back and forth between the kitchen and the table. With knitted brows, he asked, "Why are you walking like that?"

Yang Yu Teng who had just placed the last bowl of rice on the table faced Sam and was just about to answer when they both heard giggles from the old woman.

"Haiya, Sam! Why are you teasing Yu Teng like that? He'll be too shy to see me again next time."

What.. Yang Yu Teng tilted his head, wondering what his mother-in-law could've meant.

Sam who was confused too, asked, "What are you talking about, Ma?"

"Haish you kids! Nevermind, eat your breakfast first. I have to go or else your Pa will scold me. You know he hate waiting," she had not planned to stay. Afterall, how could she disturb his son's first day with his husband. Not waiting for his son to send her out, she waved goodbye and rushed towards the door to her husband waiting in the car.

"Ma.." Yang Yu Teng called the rushing woman but his low voice was not heard.

"Don't bother, she's always like that. Coming and going as she pleases." Sam walked towards the table and took his seat. Thinking back, he had long since eaten a proper breakfast at home and now that his father had given him two weeks off, he could finally enjoy a traditional filling breakfast instead of just breads and eggs though all the oily food might not be best for his slight hangover. Digging in, his eyes followed the movement of the other man who went to wash his hands and after a minute, finally took the seat opposite of him.

"You're walking weird."

"I know.." Yang Yu Teng picked up his chopsticks and started glancing around the house to find the creature that had caused him his painful butt but Little Prince wasn't around. Why would he when the whole house was his playground?

Picking up dish after dish and filling his mouth as if he had been starved for days, Sam suddenly remembered his mother's words just now.

Why would Yu Teng be shy?

As he swallowed his fill, his eyes went wide before his pupil went looking for the face of the other man from the corner of his eyes. Is he walking like that because of me?

He woke up early that morning, even before the sun had risen despite the drinks he had too much of the night before. It had become a routine from the few years he had started working. He opened his eyes to a bright room with all the lights still on and the head of the other man on the edge of the bed. The last thing he remembered was him sitting on the sofa and drinking more wine but he clearly saw the both of them still fully clothed when he woke up earlier. So, nothing could've happened, right?

"Are you okay?"

Yang Yu Teng bit his chopsticks along with the rice in his mouth as his face went into a daze. It was a normal question to ask but hearing it came from Sam, Yang Yu Teng almost couldn't believe his ears.

"What do you mean?"

Sam was taken aback by the question in response to his question. Don't people normally would just answer it with a yes even if they're not okay?

Sam put his hand on the table, watching the slightly opened mouth of the other man, biting onto the chopstick while looking at him straight in the eyes. But Yang Yu Teng's eyes weren't of a look of someone trying to provoke him; instead, those two eyes were wide opened, almost glinting with innocence and honest confusion. Sam wondered how this unattractive man could pull such an alluring face, effortlessly at that.

"Last night, did we sleep together? Did I hurt you?"

"What? No! Why?" Yang Yu Teng almost leapt out of the chair at the question, only sitting back down when his butt started hurting with every movement of his legs. His left hand rubbed his hip again.

Sam nodded at the answer, the silent wince of the other man did not miss his eyes, "Then, what's wrong with your leg? Did you trip on the stairs?"

Is this man worrying about me? Yang Yu Teng was somewhat, speechless. Sam's voice was as cold as usual but he wasn't as snarky. He unconsciously raised his hand to rub the back of his neck. It wasn't just his legs; his butt, back, and neck, it all hurt. It must be from the position he slept last night, he thought. But when he was awake earlier, he had already been sleeping on the bed.

"I fell on my butt," Yang Yu Teng answered honestly, poking the still full bowl of rice with his chopsticks.

"Oh," Sam wasn't usually a nosy person but for some reason, he wanted to ask more. How did he fall on his butt? But he figured he had said too much word for that morning, so he just continued his breakfast in silence.

After finishing half his rice, Yang Yu Teng lifted his head, wanting to say something to the other man, but Sam was already looking at him. Caught off guard, he blinked twice before dipping his head again to stare at the beautiful grains of rice he had the pleasure of munching in between his tee- Yang Yu Teng hastily shook his head at his own gibberish thoughts, and again raised his head to see the other person.

"I'm going to see my dad after this."

Sam had long noticed this behaviour of Yang Yu Teng. The man would shake his head at anything, even when he wasn't talking to anyone else. He wondered if the man had invisible friends. But it didn't matter, what mattered was the blush he was seeing on the man's face. Sam had finished his food for a while but he was raised to wait for others to finish their foods too. So, out of his upbringing, he waited and spent his time to observe the other man. When their eyes met just now, he could clearly see the tips of the man's ears turned to red and that gave rise to the playfulness in Sam.

He folded his arms on his chest and leaned forward, "Our dad you mean."

"Uhh, anyway, I'm going."

"Then, maybe you should eat some painkillers first. I don't want dad to think I bullied his son on our first night, you know?" Sam raised his brows, tempting a reaction from the other man.

"You.." Yang Yu Teng by then had lost his appetite, or was he rather full? He couldn't tell. But he was hot on his seat. How could he not when Sam was looking at him like a hungry hyena?

"I noticed you no longer have that band-aid on your neck. What a pity, I really like that look on you," Sam stood and walked around the table to stand behind Yang Yu Teng. He bent forward, his cheek slightly grazing the other's ear.

Knowing exactly who stood behind him, Yang Yu Teng dropped his chopstick as he felt his heart raced. The soft hair on the back of his neck stood up on ends as the man whispered, "Maybe I should mark my man again.."