365 🩺 The Last Straw

Yunho didn't know what he felt worse about... The fact that he'd been stuck in ED for seven and a half hours, or the fact that somewhere along the line, his parents had been called, despite him being a legal adult, with absolutely no legal obligation to have his parents present.

He felt that maybe he would have rathered Mr. Kwang punch him a bit harder and give him a real concussion, and a real reason for his parents to be present.

Then he wouldn't have to listen to the constant condescending dribble over responsibility, and how to take care of himself.

'You know a hospital is no place for violence, Yunho.'

'Mother, I didn't provoke him-'

'Yunho look at yourself! How do you think your father and I felt, getting a call at work that our son is in hospital, as a patient?'

He felt an incredible irritation hit him as once again, he was not being listened to, nor, as it so seemed, believed.

'You think I brought this upon myself, don't you?' he said in disbelief, staring at the two sitting on chairs beside the bed. With his own legs crossed leaning against the head of the bed, he couldn't have felt less deserving to be taking up a patient bay. 'You think I stirred him up, don't you?'

His parents glanced at each other, before his father spoke for them. 'We have noticed that you have been exhibiting quite a lot of anger lately. Which is perfectly normal for you to feel. It is just a part of growing up-'

He laughed spitefully, poking his tongue into the inside of his cheek. 'Anger?' He scoffed. 'The only thing that is making me angry, is the fact that I seem to be talking to a brick wall. I can't believe you think I knowingly brought this upon myself.'

'Yunho,' his father snapped. 'That is no way to speak to your parents.'

Sighing, he shook his head, giving in. Rubbing his face with his hands, he winced a little as he touched the light bruise on his cheek. 

But raking his fingers through his hair, he could do nothing but just take it. He felt powerless, and he felt pained.

'Yunho,' his mother said. 'Darling, it doesn't matter how this happened. This hospital, is a place of healing. I shouldn't have to tell you how important it is to keep it that way.'

He felt like crying. 'I know tha-'

'Then why is it that you keep finding yourself in trouble? Yunho only a couple weeks ago you came home with that wound on your neck, and now here we are again. Students can go their entire educational career without encountering anything of this nature. So how is it that you are tallying confrontations? It's almost as though you're drawn to it-'

Hearing his mother say those things... Things about events he'd had absolutely zero control over...

It was the last straw.

Tears pricked in his eyes and fell within seconds. 'I can't do this anymore,' he choked, reaching up and wiping his eyes. 'I love medicine. I love helping people. I love it,' he breathed, feeling his heart ache.