191 🩺 Sunbae, Why You Gotta Do Him Like That? He's Fragile

Yunho's head wasn't in the game.

Following his preceptor around on shift, he couldn't seem to focus on anything around him as time ticked by.

He didn't even notice as he was standing at the nurses station and an old family friend rocked up beside him, interrupting his faded out daze.

'Yu Yu~. Actually, no I shouldn't probably call you that, you look like you're at work. I almost didn't believe it was you when I was walking past! It's been years!'

Yunho turned around to see a man who used to be really good work friends with his parents walking up to him. He was one of the few people he didn't actually hate from within these walls.

Yunho bowed politely and tried to muster a genuine smile. 'Mr. Li. It's been a while, how are you and your wife?' he asked politely. He immediately flashed back unexpectedly to the times he had eaten his lunch with him in the on call rooms, waiting for his parents to finish work so they could go home.

'We're good! Really good! Oh look at you, you're all grown up now! A fine young man!' He chuckled as he saw Yunho awkwardly nod. 'Aww I'm making you uncomfortable. Sorry,' he laughed.

Yunho smiled. 'It's fine.'

Mr. Li patted him on the shoulder. 'You're a good lad. I was actually talking to my wife about you the other day - wondering what you were up to these days. Tell me, clearly you have taken to follow in your parents' footsteps for your career.'

Yunho nodded, uncomfortable with how he felt he was supposed to be a lot more enthusiastic about that than he actually felt...

'That's all well and good, but you know, it's important to still live. Tell me, do you have a girl waiting for you at home?'

Yunho choked, suddenly feeling an intense tightening in his chest, for no other reason than being uncomfortable at being asked such a personal question in the workplace...

Looking around awkwardly to see if anyone had heard, Yunho shook his head. 'No... I still live at home.'

'Oh like that ever stopped anyone! It's almost a rite of passage for a young man to sneak a girl home.'

Yunho rubbed the back of his neck, uncomfortably. 'I don't have a girlfriend.'

Mr. Li's eyes widened. 'But how can that be so?! Such a handsome young man you've grown into. Surely you have the girls knocking down your door for you.'

Yunho shook his head uncomfortably. How was he possibly going to explain that he had no interest in dating?

Suddenly, for some unknown reason, the scene from San's kitchen popped into his mind, Mingi's figure making his throat tighten and stomach twist. He shook his head immediately to try and rid his mind of the image.

Desperately, he searched for a half passable excuse. 'No, I guess I'm just too busy to meet people...'

'Oh now that's just sad. You know, I actually know a lovely young lass who I think you'd absolutely adore. She volunteers at my wife's work. Her name is Rose, she's Korean American, really just the sweetest girl. I think you'd really enjoy her company, she reminds me a lot of you. I could set you two up if you like.'

'Oh no, you really don't have to do that.' Yunho felt his heart thud in his chest for a moment, a mild panic surprising him. Why was he so anxious all of a sudden?

'Oh hush. I'll give her your number. You don't need to thank me.'

Yunho, unsure of how to convince him that he really wasn't interested, decided to just hold his tongue. Don't be rude, Yunho.

And Mr. Li obviously took that as an acceptance. 'Great! I think you'll really like her.'

Yunho inwardly groaned. But before he could say anything, a hand slapping dow on his shoulder jumped him from his thoughts. Turning, his preceptor came into his line of sight.

'Yunho, we've been called to the theatre, did you want to come watch?'

Yunho nodded, eager for the excuse to leave. He bowed respectfully to Mr. Li. 'It was nice catching up,' he said, even though he wasn't sure how much they had exactly caught up on, apart from Yunho's distinct lack of a love life.

And being dragged off down the hall by his preceptor, Mr. Li called after him. 'Let me know how it goes!~'

Yunho groaned.

What had he just gotten himself into?

~~~