246 🩺 Good News

'Woo, baby, sit down,' San said through an amused exasperated breath. 'Let us get everything. You've been at work all day, so just sit. Okay?' He gently pushed him into a dining chair, leaning down and pecking him on the forehead through his fluffy blonde hair.

But as expected, Wooyoung pouted. 'I want to help though!'

Before San could respond, Yeosang came up to the table, putting a plate of bread and a bowl of kimchi down. 'Wooyoung sit down and listen to your boyfriend. There's too many people in the kitchen anyway.'

Grabbing a slice of bread, as Wooyoung went to argue, he shoved the slice in his mouth, making his lips pucker around the bread slice poking out like a duck bill.

And San laughed. 'Why does that look cute?' Patting him under the chin, San ruffled his hair. 'Chew that, kitten. I'll be right back.'

Smirking as he walked into the kitchen, unable to get the adorable picture of Wooyoung with a mouthful of bread out of his mind, San picked up a few side dishes and a main of something that looked like pies, and smelled delicious.

'Min, this smells really good, what is it?' San asked, frowning as he sniffed one.

Mingi shrugged. 'I have no clue. Joong and I just shoved all the left overs that were in the fridge into pastry. They're all different.'

However Hongjoong suddenly hurried over and plucked one from the plate. Bouncing it between his hands as he underestimated its heat, he quickly let it drop onto another plate. 'This one is mine though,' he said as Mingi and San both laughed.

However just as he turned around, Yeosang snuck in and took a bite out of it.

'Ya!'

Earning himself a hundred slaps on the shoulder, Yeosang laughed as he died from the heat of the pie, exhaling steam and escaping out of the kitchen to take refuge with his brother.

Mingi patted Hongjoong on the shoulder. 'Better be faster next time, Hyung.'

The eldest groaned, looking like he could cry.

Taking the last of the flood to the table, everyone sat down, eagerly picking up utensils and digging in.

'Joong-ah!' Wooyoung suddenly said. 'I forgot! Min told me that you and doctor boy are official. Like, documentationally official.'

Hongjoong cringed, and San and Yeosang's eyes widened, staring at him.

'Documentationally isn't a word,' Hongjoong said, hiding his blushing cheeks behind a slice of bread.

'And you didn't deny it! So it's true!'

Visibly cringing, Hongjoong gave in. 'We put in the papers this morning.'

San glanced at Mingi, their eyes meeting, and they both exchanged warm, almost relieved expressions.

'Damn I didn't ever think Seonghwa had it in him to make a move,' Yeosang said, popping a slice of kimchi in his mouth.

Mingi groaned. 'He's always been hopeless. I could never deal with his shyness. I don't know how you do it.'

Hongjoong laughed. '... I guess it's kind of cute?'

'There really is someone for everyone, isn't there?' Yeosang said, rolling his eyes at his Hyung. 'Joong-ah, no cringe while we're trying to eat. Makes me want to gag.'

'Vom on the table and I'll rub your nose in it,' Wooyoung warmed, pointing his chopsticks across the table at his brother.

'What am I, a dog?'

'If I throw a tub of ice cream across the living room, will you fetch it?'

Yeosang glared as stifled laughter broke out around the table. 'Yes! Ice cream should never be wasted! Plus if it gets in the carpet, I will rub your nose in it.'

'Wow,' Hongjoong groaned. 'Never goes by a day where I'm not reminded that you two are exactly the same.' Cutting open his pastie and staring sadly at the missing bite in the top, Hongjoong sighed heavily.

'Just because we bicker, doesn't mean we're the same!' Wooyoung countered, his dark eyes filled with happy content, despite the arguing at the table.

'Yeah I would never pull someone else's stuff out of the washing machine just to make sure all of yours get washed.'

Wooyoung's eyes widened. 'When did I do that?!'

'Yesterday! You took my towel out and put in your jeans!'

'Only because your towel always puts fluff through all of our clothes and I'm the one who sits there with duct tape de-fluffing everything!'

'Well make sure that you don't take out my clothes tonight. I need them to go to work tomorrow.'

...

Silence broke out around the table.

...

Not a soul moved, all eyes staring at Yeosang, who was wearing a suddenly vulnerable, yet shy expression.

'S-Sangie...'

Wooyoung dropped his chopsticks, letting them clatter loudly to his plate. 'Are you really going back?'

Eyes turned from Wooyoung to Yeosang, who nodded ever so slightly.

And tears slipped from Wooyoung's eyes. Getting up from his seat, he hurried around the table to where his brother was in the process of standing up, and dove into his arms.

'I won't do anything bad, I promise! Please finish! Please! Sangie...'

Yeosang stroked his brother's hair, cooing in his ear. And as everyone watched on, San saw Hongjoong glance back down at his plate, smiling with triumph in his eyes.

'Woo, don't cry hun.'

'They're happy tears,' Wooyoung choked, squeezing his brother tightly. 'I'm going to iron your clothes for you,' he said through teary eyes.

And Yeosang laughed. 'I get it. You're excited. Come on, let's finish eating. It's not that exciting of news.'

'It is so! I was worried you'd never go back...'

Yeosang laughed, grabbing is brother by the shoulders and pushing him back around the table to his seat. 'Well I'm only going back so I can get a job that pays, so you can feel safe to explore what you want to do. It's my turn to bout food on the table.'

Wooyoung's eyes widened in disappointment. 'B- but... what about paediatrics...?'

Slipping back into his own seat, Yeosang smiled. 'Woo, I need to make some decisions of my own, before I think about what area I'm going into. I'm just going to finish my degree first. Okay?'

Glancing up through teary eyes at his brother, Wooyoung nodded. 'Okay...'

Some unspoken moment falling over the table, everyone seemed almost afraid to speak, or even move...

Until...

'Arhhh! Hot! ho'ho'hot!'

Hongjoong started groaning and exhaling steam as whatever he'd put in his mouth burned him.

And suddenly the tension was gone.

Smiles all around, San glanced at Wooyoung who was softly giggling at his Hyung.

And once again, San couldn't help feeling that this family was a special one, and one that he felt immensely lucky to be a part of.

~~~