226 🩺 Surprise Patient

Yunho was salty.

Having had his placement shift moved forward, he was tired and irritable and felt sick.

Having had almost no sleep that morning, his eyes burned from lack of sleep. Having been too busy staring at the ceiling in the dark thinking over everything that had happened that day, and pushing back the growing urge to text San and check on Mingi, he was now suffering from it.

What was worse, the preceptor that he had been paired up with last minute, seemed to greatly dislike him, and was driving him absolutely mad by forcing him to do all of the little jobs that he was too egotistical to do himself, leaving Yunho to see every patient that walked in the door, with little to no support.

And so half way through his shift, that was how Yunho found himself at the nurses station, picking up a file for a patient who had just been triaged and seated in the waiting room.

'Jung Haksaeng, you're absolutely flying through patients today. Keep at it and we'll have no one left to treat!'

Yunho turned from the patient clipboard in his hands, to see the NUM who had been the one to speak to him. He smiled, despite being deeply pissed off. 'Yeah... Have you even seen Dr. Lan?'

A/N: NUM = Nursing Unit Manager > a person who runs the nursing team in a unit/ward.

The NUM turned around, glancing around the emergency room. 'Not for about an hour. Are you still just handing over to the Reg?'

Yunho nodded. Letting out a frustrated breath, he glanced down at the file in his hands.

'Are you about to go and see this one?'

He nodded. 'What's the story?'

'Twenty three year old female came in with a minor laceration at best to the hand. I was in admin when the nurses were triaging her and I reckon she could have just whacked a band aid on it. But what would I know?' She rolled her eyes, making Yunho laugh a little.

'Oh it almost sounds like you thought this was an emergency center! Didn't you know we're a walk through first aid delivery service? Ingrown toenails and paper cuts only.'

The nurse laughed, patting him on the back. '"Hello you've reached hire a mother, how would you like me to kiss you better today?"'

Rolling his eyes, Yunho sighed. 'I better go see her. Waiting room, right?'

'Yes. Put her in armchair four. I'm not giving a minor cut a bed.'

Yunho nodded. 'Can do.'

Taking the file with him, he glanced over the triage notes as he walked to the waiting room, reviewing anything that might have stood out. Glancing at the patient sticker at the top of the page, he read out the name at the top.

'Miss Yu?'

Taking one last look at the notes, he glanced up to the seating area, and suddenly, he froze.

Standing up somewhat shyly, was a dainty girl, long dark hair cascading down her shoulders in soft waves, and a dress that must have made her legs cold with only thin stockings to warm them and a coat.

Pulling her long beaded handbag strap over her shoulder, she shyly started walking over, holding a square gauze over her hand...

Rose.

Glancing down at her hand, Yunho felt his chest tighten, but although he couldn't really find what emotion was causing it, he knew that out of all the options, it wasn't really because he was happy to see her...