212 🩺 1st Contact - Lol, Sounds Like Aliens

Feeling a little light headed for a moment, Mingi sat down on a chair in the nurses station and reached across the desk to get his water bottle and take a sip.

However as he did so, his eyes caught on a familiar person entering the ward.

Yunho.

Rolling his preceptor, he ended up walking straight into the nurses station, and as he did, he glanced to his side, and their eyes met.

Frozen for a moment, Mingi didn't know how to act. He didn't know how to predict what his reaction would be. Was he holding to his word? Or was he still needing him to keep away...?

'Yunho, just take a seat, I won't be long,' his preceptor said, consulting with another doctor Mingi had been working with on his previous shifts.

And to Mingi's surprise, Yunho walked straight over and leant against the table beside him. Shocked, he had to make a conscious effort to lower his water bottle from his lips and shut his jaw.

'So this is where you've been hiding away,' Yunho said quietly, glancing around. 'I don't actually think I've been up here before.'

Mingi cleared his throat, nodding. So we're actually talking... Speak, Mingi. This is where you speak... 'Yeah, it's quite secluded from the rest of the hospital. The staff are all lovely up here too.'

Yunho nodded, leaving Mingi to wonder what on earth he was thinking about.

'I see you're still on placement,' Mingi said softly, his voice extremely careful as though he was walking on eggshells.

'Miraculously. I have no idea why I haven't heard from the Director yet, but I guess that's not a good thing or a bad thing.'

Mingi nodded, smiling with how proud he was of his outlook. 'You're doing well to try not to let it bother you. I'm proud~'

-

Yunho glanced down at Mingi, sitting on the office chair and looking up at him with such obvious pride in him that it made Yunho's heart thud in his chest. It wasn't like he'd come looking for it, but being able to see that happy, proud expression on his face... it felt like a gift that Yunho didn't particularly feel like he deserved. 

But that wasn't to say that Yunho didn't let his eyes appreciate the kindness being offered to him... His eyes rested on Mingi's face for what felt like probably too long, taking note of things he hadn't seen in a long time...

But in doing that, Yunho suddenly noticed something... 'Min-ah... Are you okay? You look really pale.'

Mingi brushed his comment off, smiling assuredly. 'Of course I'm fine. I just needed some water for a moment,' he said, and just the mere fact that he hadn't stopped at I'm fine told Yunho that he wasn't.

'Mingi...'

'I'm totally fine~' he said, not even letting him finish his sentence. 'You're too kind for your own good, did you know that?'

Yunho felt immediate dejavú from the times where he'd heard those exact words from San's mouth, and it made him come to realise how many of their mannerisms the two shared... But not once had Yunho noticed these things when San did them...

'Mingi Haksaeng.'

Mingi turned around at his name being called, and stood immediately as he did, holding onto the side of the bench and nodding politely.

'We've got a C-Section going down to the theatres now.'

'Yes Saem,' Mingi replied, turning to take his things. But not before he paused to look at Yunho. It made a jolt go through his body as he watched Mingi giving him his whole attention.

'Yun-ah, I'm really glad you seem like you're doing okay,' he said softly, giving him a warm smile. He reached out a hand and tapped him under the chin, a movement that startled the living daylights out of Yunho. 'Keep your chin up~' he said simply, giving him a tender smile and kind wink before hurrying off down the hallway.

And as Yunho watched his figure disappear down the hallway, Yunho took a somewhat shaky breath.

It had felt good to talk to Mingi again... It felt really good.

But even so, there was a distinct element of confusion and stress rising within him as he stared at the place Mingi had been just sitting.

Why do I feel like I didn't want him to go...?

~~~

A/N: FFS i just CAN't with these two. I just want to shove them together and shake them and go tada! all better. fml I can't