67

The lie detector test was held in an extra room on the science floor. It was a small room with only a chair connected to the detector and a control board to observe various factors. Among other things, there was a scan of the pupil, pulse measurement and other signs that could be used to detect a lie, at least that's what Sharon claimed when she showed them the room. Sam volunteered to start and while he was wired in the chair, Ally and Bucky were taken to an adjoining room through which they could see Sam through a large window. However, because the window was mirrored on the other side, as in an interrogation room, Sam could not see them.

Sam passed the test without any excitement or rioting of the device and so Bucky was next in line. He didn't like being tied to so many wires to such a chair, but he had to go through. Sharon, who had also done the questioning on Sam, stood in front of him. "For the test, can you say your whole name, place and date of birth" "James Buchanan Barnes, Brooklyn, New York, March 10, 1917" he pressed out. Sharon seemed satisfied with the results on the control board and turned back to Bucky. "Is it true that you were held against your will by Hydra and they froze you and controlled you by certain words?" Bucky swallowed. "Yes, that's right" Sharon continued unperturbed as Bucky became more and more uncomfortable in that chair. "Is it true that through several brainwashes you can't remember everything, but gradually more and more memories are coming back?" "yes, that's true"

Tense, Ally played with her bracelet as she watched Bucky convulse more and more in the chair. The situation was getting to him, you could tell, and Ally felt so helpless. She was so relieved when Sharon finally gave the sign that Bucky was through and he was free to go. But at the same moment her whole body tensed, she was next in line!

"To test, full name, place and date of birth" Sharon began the questioning. "Alison Margaret Taylor, Brooklyn, New York, May 16, 1989" Ally answered tensely. "Is it true that your parents were killed in a car accident?" Ally swallowed as she clutched at the armrests. "Yes, it's true" she replied. "Is it true that your father is the son of Peggy Carter and Steve Rogers?" "yes, as far as I know, it's true".

"Why does their interview go on longer than ours? Can't Sharon see how beat up Ally is?" Bucky paced the room nervously. Ally's questioning had been going on for more than ten minutes now, and with each question Ally got a little paler. Sharon had no mercy and had asked Ally for all the facts that could somehow be a lie in her story. Three more questions and she would probably pass out in the chair. "Last question..." Bucky heard Sharon say and exhaled in relief. Ally was about to get it. "Did you or do you still have really serious feelings for Alexei Karpov, yes or no?" Bucky stared at Sharon, startled.How could she do this to Ally? Ally was silent, keeping her head lowered. "Yes or no?" Sharon didn't let up. "Yes, I had real feelings for him. No, I don't have any more" Ally growled. Sharon nodded and finally signaled for Ally to get free.

Bucky rushed into the room while Ally was already tearing herself away from the cables and jumping off the chair. He immediately saw the tears shimmering in her eyes as she sprinted past him out of the room. "Ally, wait" he called after her and followed after giving Sharon a punishing look.

He caught up with her just before the elevator doors closed and wrapped her in his arms. "i'm sorry. I should have never let us come here" he whispered to her as he heard her start to sob. The doors opened on her floor and Bucky immediately led Ally to her room where she threw herself on the bed and pulled the pillow over her face. Bucky stood helplessly in the room. He didn't know what to do. He clenched his hands into fists in despair. Sharon had gone too far!

Slowly, he sat down at the edge of the bed with Ally and reached for her hand, stroking it lightly. "It's over. It's okay, Doll" he tried to comfort her. Ally took the pillow from her face and looked at him. Tears were streaming from her red eyes, her face was puffy from crying and tangled strands of hair lay spread across her face. "It should never have upset me like that" her voice sounded dry, weak, drained. "It did, no one expected you to be over it, to let it all leave you cold. You saw it didn't pass me by without effect either" "but you made it through, you could answer anything" "so did you, even though you had a lot more questions that were a lot harder. Sharon should never have asked you about Karpov" "yes she did, she had the right to so I got that crappy card" Ally sighed before hugging the pillow. "Thanks for coming after me" she tried to smile at Bucky. "I'm sure I won't leave you alone after something like that" he replied, brushing the strands of her hair out of her face.

THXX for 12k reads
LOVE YOUUUU 💓