Fired

Yoongi's POV-

He is quiet, looking at me before taking a deep breath.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," he says finally. "It's none of my business. You don't owe me an explanation. Either way I will be here to support you."

I narrow my eyes, pressing my lips into a tight line in contemplation.

Goddamn his genuine kindness. I can tell he doesn't fully mean what he is saying but he is saying it anyway for my sake.

I know him. I know he's dying to know what is going on in my mind.

If there's one thing I've learned about him it's that he hardly ever doesn't have questions. Whether he asks them aloud or not is a different matter, but he is endlessly curious.

Observant too.

And he does deserve an explanation despite what he's just said.

I was going to talk to him about her first and get into everything else later, but yet again he is making me change my plans.

So, I change my first topic of conversation from Irene to what I was going to save until later.

"I can't have you as my assistant, Jungkook."

His shoulders slump at my words, nearly causing him to fall forward out of the chair.

It is quiet for a moment before I continue. "You can't be my assistant because it's unethical. I, um... I like you," I pause, clearing my throat nervously. "I-I can't have you work for me if I like you. It's not going to work."

"Y-you like me?" He is looking at the ground before he brings his eyes up to mine. "You like me?"

"I do. So I can't have you work for me. I have to fire you."

He chuckles lightly while shaking his head. "So what does this mean?"

"That's what I'd like to discuss with you. I don't want to send you away. I would like- " I pause as I take a deep breath. I don't know why I'm so nervous. "I want you to stay."

"You do?"

"Yes. But not as an employee."

"Okay..."

"As a friend."

His lips turns up at the corner.

"A friend," he muses, brow quirked in an unfairly attractive way.

"Y-yes. A supportive friend. Basically what you've been doing. Not much would change."

"No," he scoffs breathily, "Things would change. Hell, it just did. Things changed the second you said I couldn't be your assistant anymore, then again when you said the reason was because you liked me. Things changed when you confessed," his expression suddenly, smugly as he leans back in the chair. "You confessed."

"I want you to be close-" my eyes widen as soon as the words come out of mouth.

That is what I want but I didn't mean to be so direct about it! I immediately try to back track.

"I just mean that you have become someone I trust, which is hard for me to do. I like to keep people I trust around me and-"

"Were you going to kiss me?"

A little surprised by his abrupt question I blink a few times, trying to gather myself before I answer.

"No."

He pulls his lips into a tight line, tucking his bottom lip between his teeth before he releases it with a click of his tongue.

"But you like me."