The Song

Yoongi's POV-

*RING* *RING*

"Hello?

"Namjoon-ah why didn't you tell me you needed some guidance my young Padawan."

"Awe man, Hobi told you? I was asking him so I wouldn't have to bother you." He huffs.

"Well consider me bothered," I tease, "I'm kidding I'm kidding. I'm just visiting my parents. It's not like I'm on a beach somewhere."

"You willingly on a beach? I can't imagine that ever happening. All you do is bitch about the sand getting everywhere and you hate water." He laughs.

"Did you want my help or not because if you're going to be a smartass I can leave you to Hobi."

"Okay I'm sorry!" He says as he calms his laughing down. "I do have a few things I'm stuck on that I can't quite smooth out. Just a few lyrics I want to revise to be a bit more emotional and the beat change for the bridge. If we have time, I could use some of your expertise smoothing over the transition with the hook and the chorus."

"Emotional huh? Is this one of the songs you wrote for Mono that didn't make the final track list?"

"No, I started writing the lyrics to this song a couple years ago, I just didn't go as far as putting the music together for it. This is a rather personal song and I was more just writing so I wouldn't have to hold in the feelings I was having at that time.

"I saw an old friend recently and it motivated me to work on the song again. Only this time I want to get it fully produced to submit it for release."

"It seems the emotional songs generally do well on the charts. Do you think this one will?"

"I would definitely say so. It's about losing someone close to you, in my case a good friend, and I think everyone can relate to that. I'm hoping to run some of my lyrics by you then we can maybe see if there are some that can be improved."

"Alright, let's go over the song in it's entirety and then we can break down the lyrics you are unsure about, see what we can change and go from there. Did you say you needed help with the bridge too?"

"Yes, if you have time. So the lyrics I'm struggling with are in the chorus and a few in the third verse that I feel can be worded a little better."

"Do you have a guide or anything recorded?"

"No not yet, but I have a rough draft of the score for the music."

"Let's start with the lyrics. Send me some pictures of the music though so I can reference how the words will sound a little more clearly. I'm at my parents house right now so I can sight read whatever you have to play it on the piano while we are on the phone."

"Oh that's great! You have no idea how grateful I am. Seriously, thank you so much."

I smile at his words. "Of course."

He's put the phone on speaker so he can set it down to start shuffling through what sounds like papers, searching for the ones he plans to take pictures of.

While I wait a question pops into my head.

"Did you have a name for the song?"

"Not yet. I have a few titles in mind but maybe we can figure out a title later. Once the lyrics are more straightened out."

"I think that should work." I smile.

Namjoon is a very intelligent person as well as an extremely gifted writer, producer and rapper.

I often come to him when I am stuck or need a second opinion like he is doing now and Hobi does the same with the two of us. The three of us help each other and work well together. We're a good team.

He's quiet for a few seconds and I don't hear the shuffling of papers any longer. After a minute he lets out an annoyed huff and says, "The lighting's so bad. All the pictures are too dark."

"Try holding it up in the air instead of having it down on the table. Then it will be directly in the light."

"Awe good idea! Just a sec...." He pauses to take the pictures before he gets back in the line. "Yeah that looks much more clear. Okay I'll send these over."

*BZZZZ*

My phone goes off about thirty seconds later.

"Got em. There should be four right?"

"Yeah."

I open the attachments, having to zoom in on each to see the papers, and in the third one I notice a picture on the bookshelf in the background.

It's a picture of two individuals. I zoom in on the photo instead of the sheet music to see if I can get a better look at who the people are.

Once I'm zoomed in as much as I can, I am able to see that it is a picture of Namjoon standing beside who I am certain is the guy I saw in that café. It has to be.

I know I don't remember faces well, but this face has stuck with me. The face I am looking at now.

"Holy shit!" I say aloud in disbelief and excitement. I finally figured out where I've seen him. It has been driving me nuts trying to place him!

"Is that a good 'Holy Shit' or a bad one?" He says slowly, unsure about which way what I've said is to be interpreted.

He thinks I am speaking about the music he's sent so I scan over the actual sheets of paper before answering.

"The pictures came in clearly so I should be able to sight read it fine and from the lyrics that are written here, the song seems very emotional as you said." I pause, not really knowing how to segway the conversation smoothly to ask about the picture.

After a few seconds of trying to think of how to bring it up subtly, I ditch the idea and decide to just be direct.

"Namjoon, who is with you in that picture on your bookshelf?"

"Oh, that's an old friend of mine. It was one of our last pictures we took together before we had a falling out. We were really close. The two of us losing contact is actually what inspired this song." He says before taking a deep breath.

"I've had this picture forever, it's kinda funny you're asking about it now when it happens to directly correlate with this song." He says with a mock lighthearted tone.

I can tell this is a hard thing for him to talk about. For him to think back on.

It's a huge relief to finally have this mystery solved and know where I had seen the kid before, but finding out it was because of a picture in Namjoon's office? Because they had been friends? That is just incredibly coincidental.

I don't even remember having ever looked close enough at the photo to be able to recognize him.

I'm not a pushy person and this is obviously a fairly fresh wound for my friend. I don't want to rub salt in it by drilling him with questions, but I do have so many questions.

Like, what happened between them? Are they in touch now? How did they meet? What happened when he last saw him?

I want to ask but I know these are not questions I need to ask right now or have any business having answered at all really.

I believe that if someone wants to talk about something they will and this situation is no different.

Besides, perhaps I won't have to ask if this song is about their friendship. Maybe some questions will be answered within the lyrics.

I make my way over to the old piano in the sitting room, taking a seat on the bench before running my fingers over the keys.

I set my phone in front of me with the first picture open before saying, "Let's start shall we?"