Chapter 25: Awaited Special Day

Start from the beginning

"Wow! You look so pretty, sweety!" her Lola Lizah complimented. Shekinah just wore a charming smile. Her light make up gave her face a color, which made her look like she wasn't sick. She was a very beautiful kid. How I loved to see her grow up into such a beautiful lady.

"I wanna go to heaven..."

I remembered about her dream again, which suddenly changed my mood. Sadness and worry filled my heart just like what I always felt everytime I went to sleep, thinking about Shekinah's condition.

"Daddy, look. I look like an angel." she said in a soft voice though there was excitement on it. Her voice also sounded a little bit hoarse.

"You are really an angel," I said with a smile on my lips. I came closer to her and kissed her forehead.

I turned my gaze on Demi. She was just watching Shekinah like she couldn't take her eyes off her. "Baby, let take your wings off muna, isuot ko na lang sa 'yo ulit mamaya para hindi ka mahirapan sa pagsakay sa wheelchair," she told Shekinah.

"No problem, Mommy."

Nang matapos ang pag-aayos kay Shekinah, nilisan namin ang bahay sakay ang kotse na naghihintay sa amin sa labas ng bahay. Naka-receive na rin ako ng text mula kay Dad na nasa venue na siya. Yes, he went here to meet Shekinah and witness her birthday celebration.

Pagkarating namin sa venue, halos naroon na ang mga bisita. All the kids there wore angel costumes like Shekinah's. But Shekinah's wings were wider.

Sinalubong kami ni Dad. Napatitig ito kay Shekinah nang makita niya ito. "Hi, little angel," he greeted her.

"Hello," mamaos-maos na bati nito pabalik kay papa.

"She's your grandpa," I told her. Dad nodded her head as a confirmation to what I said.

Her eyes blinked and said in surprise, "Really?"

"Yes, 'cause he's my dad," I confirmed.

"Grandpa," Shekinah told Dad with gladness. Dad hugged her in so much joy.

Matapos ang ilang sandali, nag-umpisa na ang program. We readied Shekinah, wore the wings on her again, and made sure that she was okay. Her entrance would be very fascinating because we would make her fly in the air like a real angel. A few men fastened a belt around her body that would be a support to her flight. We already practiced this with Shekinah. She was okay with it. She could bear heights.

"...Everyone, let's welcome our birthday celebrant, Shekinah Hunt!"

There we saw Shekinah, flying in the air wearing her angel costume, with an heavenly background music. Her wings looked wonderful. Everyone gasped and clapped their hands in surprise and amusement. Some took photos and videos of her. She was smiling and waving her hands. That was the reason why my lips automatically formed a smile. In my eyes, she was like shining.

Demi was next to me. I could hear her sobs. "Don't let her see you crying," I reminded her. Pinag-usapan kasi namin na dapat ma-enjoy ni Shekinah ang araw na ito.

"I'm s-sorry, I j-just can't help. She looks wonderful."

"Yes, she is."

Kalaunan, binaba rin nila si Shekinah. Doon na nagsimula ang birthday party. There was a lot of games and everybody was enjoying, especially the kids. Shekinah was just watching them while she was seated on a light blue sofa on the stage. But when kids started to dance, Shekinah joined them. She danced with them. That was the most precious moment I saw there. All her life, she was suffering from her sickness. She didn't enjoy her youth like the way she should in her age. And seeing her enjoying the companies of the other kids like her made my heart jump in joy.

It was evening when the party finally ended. We knew that Shekinah needed rest so we immediately took her home. I laid her down the bed.

"Did you enjoy your birthday?" I asked her.

She didn't talk but she smiled at me and slightly nooded her head. Her lipstick already faded so her face looked so pale again. Her eyes were also dreamy and tired.

I kissed her forehead. "Take a rest now."

"Daddy..." mahinang tawag niya sa akin.

"Yes?"

"Can you... call Mommy? Tell her that... I will sing for both of you," she said in a low voice and couldn't speak continuously.

Bago pa man ako makasagot, bumukas na ang pintuan at niluwa niyon si Demi.

"Demi, Shekinah wants to sing for us," I told her.

Lumapit naman si Demi sa amin at sa kabilang banda siya pumuwesto. She held Shekinah's hand. "You will sing for us?" she asked her.

Shekinah nodded her head. "I composed a song for you and Daddy"

Nagkatinginan naman kami ni Demi. We didn't know that she could compose a song. I got a conviction that I needed to record her song, so I picked up my phone and took a video.

We waited for her to start her song.

"Don't be afraid when you are alone
Jesus will be your light in the dark
He'll be with you till forever
With the angels above
We'll live someday..."

I didn't notice that my tears were rolling down on my cheeks while I was listening to her song, and so as Demi. The tune was "If We Hold on Together", she just changed the lyrics. But she struggled to sing the song well due to lack of energy.

"Sorry, I just made the chorus," she said softly.

"It's okay. It sounded very beautiful," I told her while wiping my tears away. "When I was young, I also composed songs. You really got my passion in music. Maybe when you already have gained your strength, I'll teach you how to play piano."

She didn't reply. She just gazed at me with her tired eyes, so we fell silent. Demi just cried. I didn't know why she couldn't stop crying.

"Daddy... Mommy..." she called us after a long silence.

"Yes?" Demi replied between her sobs.

"I'm already tired. I'll take a rest now..." she told us.

"Okay, good night. I love you," Demi told her.

I stopped the video recording.

I felt my heart raced. It pounded faster than it used to, especially when she started to close her eyes. It felt like all my surroundings were muted and all I could hear was the loud sound of my heart beat. I was like a statue for a few minutes. But I was suddenly snapped back to my senses when I saw red fluids come out from her nose. That was the moment that Demi panicked. She shook her body, trying to wake her up, but she wasn't waking up.

Demi's loud screams and cries filled the room. And all I did was just cry while hugging my daughter's lifeless body.