Chapter 66

Adrienne's POV 

"I want you to come with me." Gran said.

I looked at her, wondering where she wanted me to go.

"Gran, please, am I dead?"

"Just come with me baby girl."

She gripped my hand tightly and I looked back at myself. It was frightening. People were standing over me, yelling, doing things.

I looked at Matt. He was standing there, he was crying.

"Gran." I said pulling on her hand. "Matt needs me."

She smiled at me once again. "He will be fine without you."

He will?

"I love him."

"Silly girl, I know you love him, anyone can see that you love him, but it will be okay Adrienne. Now come." She pulled me towards the door.

I glanced back one last time at Matt and at that point I would have given anything in the world just to touch him one more time.

Gran guided me down the corridor and I glanced into rooms. Some rooms had so many people standing around the bed and it took me a moment to realise that they were people like Gran, they were looking out for their loved one, they were waiting for them.

We came to a door and Gran smiled again.

"Ready?" She asked.

Ready? Was this the door to heaven and was I ready for it?

She opened it and as we stepped through I closed my eye's, when I opened them I wasn't in heaven, I was in my old bedroom.

I looked around at all of my stuff, stuff I threw out years ago. I hadn't lived in this room since I went to college.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

Gran just looked at me and put her finger to her lips.

Suddenly the bedroom door opened and Amelia, Brian, Matt and myself walked in, well the 16 year old versions of ourselves.

"I cannot believe you did that." I told Matt sternly.

I remembered this night, I remembered it well. Matt and Brian had gotten drunk then decided to terrorise the neighborhood, only someone had called the police and it was my house they ended up hiding at.

"Aww Adrienne, we were just mucking around." Brian said drunkenly.

"Well shut up and get into bed."

I stood there smiling watching as Brian got in bed with Amelia and a drunk Matt got into my bed. I watched the younger me crawl in next to him.

"You had better be gone by the time my dad wakes up."

"Relax Adrienne." Matt said. "We will be."

I watched the lights go out and I listened to us all settling.

Gran squeezed my hand and I looked at her.

"Wait." She said.

Wait? What was I waiting for?

"Thanks Rie, for everything you do." Matt whispered. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Suddenly we were gone from the room and back into the hospital.

"Do you see?" Gran asked.

I shook my head, I didn't see at all.