Chapter 64

Adrienne's POV

I kept coming up. I say coming up because it's the best way to describe it. I would come up and be aware of things around me, then I would sink back down into a black fog, in the fog I could vaguely hear people but I couldn't react, it was like I was paralysed.

I faded into the fog in the ambulance, but I came back up several times, the pain was excruciating and I could hear them talking.

I came back up when I got to the hospital, once again I could hear the talking.

"Vitals?"

"We need an abdo scan."

"We need a CT scan, I need to rule out a head injury."

They were talking so quick, I couldn't keep up.

I felt hands on me, feeling, pushing and when they got to my abdomen and pushed I felt an explosion of pain and descended back into the black fog.

The next time I came up was because of Matt. I could hear him, I could smell him and I could feel him touching me.

"Baby. Adrienne, please be okay. I love you baby. I never meant what I said, I love you and only you. Please be okay."

I wanted to tell him I was okay, I wanted to open my eye's and look at him, I wanted to tell him that I was sorry, that it was my fault, not his, but I couldn't, I couldn't move, not at all.

I sunk back into the fog. I had no concept of time so I didn't know how long I'd been there.

This time when I became aware I was in a bed. I could feel someone holding my hand. It was Matt, I don't know how I knew, I just did.

"Open your eyes Adrienne." A voice told me.

I knew that voice, I just hadn't heard it for so long.

"Open your eyes and get up."

I opened my eye's, my Grandmother was standing there.

"Gran?"

"Yes honey it's me, now come." She held out her hand.

I took it and she helped me to my feet.

I looked around. It was a hospital room. Matt was sitting in a chair holding my hand. I could see myself laying in the bed. I looked terrible actually.

"He's a handsome one." Gran said smiling.

"He is, you remember him?"

"Hmmm I think so, a naughty boy if I remember."

I smiled and hugged her. "I missed you."

"I know, but I've always been here."

I looked at her, she looked exactly the same as the last time I saw her ten years ago.

"Why are you here?"

"Why do you think Adrienne, looking after you."

"I'm glad."

A high screeching noise caught my attention and I glanced at the bed. Matt was rising to his feet as the door opened and people came in.

I looked at Gran.

"It was a terrible accident." She said quietly.

It was a terrible accident, but why was she here, my grandmother who'd been dead ten years, why was she here?

"Gran." I said quietly. "Am I......am I dead."

I heard Matt yelling and I glanced at him. I felt Gran take my hand again and pull me towards her.

I looked back at her.

She was just standing there smiling.