Chapter 68

Adrienne's POV

"Where are we going now?" I asked.

"You'll see." She said squeezing my hand.

So once again we walked down the corridor until we came to a door. Gran stopped, looking at me.

"Ready?" She asked.

No, I wasn't ready, but I nodded my head anyway.

We stepped through the door. Now we were in a house, a house I didn't recognise.

I looked around, we were standing in the entry way, the front door was to the left and straight ahead was obviously a living area. I could here talking coming from there.

"Come on." Gran said, pulling me towards the door.

We entered the room to the sight of two girls. They appeared to be fighting over a doll.

One was maybe six, one maybe four. They were both the cutest thing I'd ever seen. They both had blond hair and sweet faces.

"It's mine." The oldest one said, pulling on the doll.

The younger girl started crying. "Abbey, it's mine."

They were having a tug-o-war over the poor doll and I could see it possibly losing some limbs.

"Don't make me get Mommy." The older one, who I guessed was Abbey said.

"Get her, she'll tell you it's mine."

"I hope you get in trouble Gracie." Abbey said, taking a deep breath. "Mommmmmmyyyyy."

I flinched and looked at Gran.

"She has a good set of lungs." Gran said.

The younger of the one, Gracie, looked straight at us, almost like she heard Gran.

I looked at her and I took a step back. Her eye's, I recognised her eye's.

"Why would you show me this?" I cried.

I heard footsteps approaching us.

"Hush Adrienne." Gran told me.

Someone walked in and I looked, feeling tears on my cheeks.

"What's wrong girls?" Matt asked them.

"We want Mommy." Abbey said.

"Well she's resting."

"Daddy." Gracie said quietly. "Is this mine?"

Matt smiled at her, it was full of love. "Yes baby that's yours. Abbey yours is in the toy room, where you left it."

He spoke to both of them gently and lovingly.

"Okay Daddy." Abbey said softly, hugging him.

I felt my heart breaking. Why was I here, seeing Matt's life, Matt's children, a life that I wasn't a part of.

"Where's Mommy?" Gracie asked.

"In the kitchen."

The three of them turned and walked out of the room.

"Adrienne." Gran said softly, hugging me.

I was crying without realising it.

Gran pulled me along, following them through the house to the kitchen.

"Mommy." Abbey said, hugging a woman hard.

I looked at this woman, she had her back to me but I could see she was pregnant again and I hated her, this woman who would take my place.

"We need to get ready." This woman said quietly. "We're going to see Brandon."

"And Aunty Amelia and Uncle Zack." Gracie said clapping her hands.

"Yes, so go." Matt told them.

I watched Abbey take Gracies hand and they both left the kitchen.

"What were they arguing about?" This woman asked Matt.

"Their dolls."

She laughed. "What would we do without them Matt."

I watched him put his arms around her and I wiped the tears that were running down my face.

"What would I do without you." Matt said softly.

I watched this pregnant woman turn around and put her arms around him.

I lost my breath.

I felt Gran grab hold of me.

"Now do you see?" She asked.

I looked at her then I looked back at Matt and the woman, the woman who was me.

"Yes." I sobbed.

Suddenly the kitchen disappeared and we were back in the hospital room, my body laying on the bed.

"It's up to you now Adrienne." Gran said hugging me. "I'll leave you here."

I hugged her tightly. "What's up to me?"

She took my face in her hands. "Whether you live or die baby girl."

She kissed my cheeks. "Just remember I'll always be here." And suddenly she was gone.

She just vanished, like that.

I made my way over to the bed, pulling back the covers and climbing in.

I knew what I had to do now.

I felt the black fog envelope me again and as I started to black out I heard all the alarms start their high pitch screaming again.