Hurts Like Heaven

Alex POV:
Planning my mum's funeral was the most stressful thing I've ever had to do. Luckily I had Chris, Gavin & my Uncle Chet, who came from Seattle, to help me. The funeral was next week and I was not ready for it at all.

****The Next Week****
It is the day of the funeral and I feel sick to my stomach. I'm wearing a long black dress, black flats and a black flower crown. Chris pats my back as we go to sit down in front of the open casket. Gavin and the crew are sitting behind me since only the family is sitting in the front row. As everyone around me is crying and random people keep constantly coming up to hug me, I can't help but feel angered. I didn't shed one tear. Instead I felt my face getting hot and my fists clenching up. Why was I in this position? It just wasn't fair! I get straight A's, I stay out of trouble, I have a part time job, and this is what happens to me? My life didn't start going downhill until...Chris got involved. Chris is the one who caused all of this. Everything was fine before he came along. Matter of fact, he's the reason why my mum killed herself; she loved him so much and if she couldn't be with him she didn't want to live. Sure she did push him away but that doesn't give him the right to just leave without a fight, stop making contact with us, start a new family, then march back into my life 15 years later and think everything is peachy clean.

"Okay everyone the funeral is going to start in 1 min.", the minister said into the mic. "Please take your seats."

"Are you going to be okay when I go up there to song Paradise?", Chris asked looking over at me.

At that point, my anger got the best of me.

"Sing? Since when do you give a shit about my mother? Why are you even here? If this was happening a few months ago you wouldn't even be here because you totally forgot you had another family. Matter of fact this wouldn't have even been happening because a few months ago we were actually happy. You're the one who just magically appeared in our lives one day and just made our lives hell..."

"ALEX!", Gwyneth jumped in for speechless Chris. "That is no way to talk to your father young lady...."

"Shut up bitch. I wasn't talking to you. And what do you know? You're the other woman he cheated on my mum with."

"ALEX!", Taye snapped from behind me. "You can't cus in church."

"You know what? Fuck this!", I scream before I walk out of the church.

I walk up the stairs until I get to the roof of the church. Being in high places helps me clear my head when I'm mad. As I'm thinking about the whole blowout the door to the roof opens. I look over to see Gavin standing in the doorway.

"Hey."

"Don't hey me. Why were you being so rude and disrespectful? I get your mom just died but that doesn't give you the right to treat people like shit. They were just trying to help."

"Gavin I-"

"Save it. You know you're not the girl I thought you were. I thought Alex Martin was a sweet, smart, and caring girl with a great sense of humor. Now I know who the real Alex Martin is...just a bitch. Chris is downstairs trying to hold back tears from all the things you just said to him and I have to say I give him props cause it was embarrassing for both him and his wife and you don't seem to care."

"But Gavin-"

"I don't want to hear it. Whatever feelings I thought I had for you are gone."

Gavin slammed the door and went back downstairs.

Tears filled my eyes when I had just realized what happened. What had I done? Now everyone thinks I'm a monster.