Army of One Pt. 2

⚠️WARNING⚠️: This is one of the more serious chapters. It has to do with a very sensitive/touchy subject. Read at your own risk.

*****Earlier That Morning (6 am)*****
Chris POV:
I decide to wake up early this morning so I can go have a conversation with Gwyneth. We ended things badly and I needed closure. Of course, Alex was still asleep and with the way things had been going I wasn't going to wake her.

I got in my car and drove to the address of "the Greg guy". When I pulled up, Gwyneth was already outside, looking flawless as usual. As she walks over to the car, I feel my heart pounding pretty fast. It was so obvious I still loved her even though I didn't want to.

"Hello, Chris.", she says leaning down in front of the car window.

"Hello, Gwyneth."

"Apple and Moses are asleep right now because they have school in a few hours.", she explained. "But lately Greg's daughters have been doing great babysitting them while we go out."

"So how come you don't drop them off to me, when you two go out?"

"It's usually only a few hours. Besides, you're already a pretty busy man."

"Busy or not, I always make time for my kids. You know that, Gwyneth.", I answer sternly.

"Chris, it's not that a big deal. Why are you acting like this?"

"Acting like what? I haven't seen my kids since you took off, so I'm confused as to why you won't drop them off to their father rather than two adolescent girls."

"I see the problem now. You're jealous of Greg.", she begins.

I put my head in my hand. What part of I want to see my kids was she not understanding?

"Chris, you just need to except that things will never be the same."

"Gwyneth, I just want to see my kids."

"You are seeing your kids. You're a full time father to that little brat."

"Hey! Watch the way you talk about my daughter! I swear on everything if it wasn't for Apple and Moses, I wouldn't put up with you anymore."

"Well, Apple and Moses aren't here right now."

"Bye, Gwyneth.", I say turning the key in the ignition. How did I deal with her for 11 years?

"I get it's hard but face it. You will never have your real family back!", she screamed as I pulled out of the driveway.

I drive away pissed off. Once again, Gwyneth has made a big stink over something so simple. I'm just gonna go to the studio to cool off.

*******
Alex POV:
"Ms. Martin, are you going to guidance?", Mrs Bernstein calls as I leave the classroom. "You're gonna need a pass!"

Guidance was the last thing on my mind. I was just trying to get out of this hell hole. I didn't know where to go. It was obvious Chris didn't want me and I didn't have friends anymore.

With tears pouring down my face, I fleet to the back exit. Leaving the school, I felt helpless. I had no idea what to do or where to go. I was definitely contemplating suicide.

I then realize that I never responded to Phil's text. I take the time to write:

"Nice meeting you as well. Don't know if I'll ever see you again but I can't thank you enough for what you did."

I send the message then lock my phone before chucking it towards the school's outdoor pool. I start to walk towards the road. I thought it would be best if I got hit by a car.

Stepping out into the street, I'm taking my chances. All I could think about was how good life would be without me here.

I hear a car that comes close to hitting me but stops right in front of my feet. The car stops and I look up at the familiar vehicle feeling slightly embarrassed.