Day 302

I am absolutely crushed...

I don't know what to do anymore. Why is it that every time I think I've gotten ahead, I'm dragged back down? Am I destined to be a failure? I'm trying not to cry. I wish Brelyna was here to console me.

Anyway, we're back in Windhelm and the first thing we encountered were the guards at the docks telling me I failed their city. Another woman has been murdered in the same manner as the previous ones. The guards said I had given the people a false sense of hope when I accused the wrong person. I tried to defend myself, but a group started to gather and frustrations were rising. Lydia, wisely, dragged me away to the inn. I almost wasn't even granted a room.

I can't believe it. Could I really have been wrong? All the evidence pointed to Wuunferth...unless he had an accomplice! Or maybe it's a copycat. I need to sort this out. It's too late to talk to Jorleif tonight, but tomorrow I will set this straight. I need to get my notes back and find where I went wrong. And then I need to speak with Wuunferth and force him to tell me the truth.

Not only have I failed the victims and their families and the people of Windhelm, I may have ruined my only possibility of ensuring the safety of Whiterun.