Day 198

We arrived in Windhelm yesterday, but I was too tired to do anything. I tried sleeping, but woke from nightmares. Brelyna did her best to help me sleep, using calming spells on me as I slept. She's too good for me.

This afternoon, I was finally rested enough to speak with Ulfric. At first he dismissed me, telling me to speak to Galmar about becoming a recruit, but I explained who I was and what the situation is with Whiterun. He remembers me from Helgen, but he believes I was some criminal. He isn't sure he can trust me. Ralof, whom I haven't seen since we escaped Helgen together years ago, isn't here to vouch for me, and Ulfric won't tell me where he is stationed. Unless I just want to be a lowly recruit (who will definitely not have any sway in the decision to attack Whiterun) I need to earn the trust of some of the locals and have them vouch for me. This might take some time, and I'm not sure what I can do.

Brelyna and I spent some time this evening discussing options. She's willing to stay here with me, if I choose to. But I'll have to find work around the city to afford to stay. I always have my alchemy to make a few coins here and there, and some at the market already know me from selling my potions here before. I'll see what else I can find.

I'll need to let Lucia and Lydia know.

Dear Lucia and Lydia,

It did not go as planned. I have to have someone vouch for me, before I can join the Stormcloaks and convince Ulfric to leave Whiterun alone. This means I must remain here for some time. I'll be taking jobs here and sending back what I can. Keep practicing that healing spell, Lucia, and I'll be home soon enough to have that sword fight rematch!

All my love.