Chapter 82

I felt attracted to you and love you even to this day, because your soul spoke to me through your eyes, even when you didn't know it…

But David would never be prepared for what laid before him…  He was near to tears seeing her lying still with a brace around her neck and an IV attached to her arm…  He could not move and choked as he looked at her…  Alexa on the other hand just stared at him…  He thought she should have at least smiled but it was as if she didn’t even recognize him…  He walked slowly towards her…

Alexa :  Doc?  Are you my doctor?  (She took his hand and weakly, she gave a squeeze…)  Please take this off my neck…

David’s heart sank as he took the seat right next to her bed…  His gaze never left her but he was too distraught to understand what she was rumbling about…  He was surprised when he heard a man’s voice in the room and when he turned to look at whose it was, he immediately recognized Richard Marquez who had been there all the while…

Richard :  Don’t worry about it…  It’s a temporary effect of the drug they’d given her…  It should wear off in time…  Tell her who you are and she will eventually remember you…  (They shook hands as David reach him…)

David :  I am sorry, Richard…  I did not know you were there…  Have you heard from the doctor?

Richard :  Not yet…  Don’t worry…  I know she’ll be alright…  And since you are here, I will leave you here…  Lizzie must be worried sick…  She’s anxiously waiting for some news too…  I’ll be right outside…  I just have to call my wife…  (He then turned his attention towards Alexa…)  I’ll be outside, Ally…

David :  Thank you very much…

When Richard left, David went back to her side…  Alexa still seemed a bit disoriented as she returned his gaze but as she slowly found her focus, tears began to flow from her eyes…  David was more in pain as he saw the tears and dropped his shoulders helplessly…  He turned his gaze away from her to hide his own tears that already escaped from him…

Alexa :  Do I really look pathetic?  (Still feeling woozy and helpless, she cooed like a child having her tantrums…)  If you can’t look at me, you can leave…

David :  (He dried his tears and inhaled deeply…)  Are you well enough to fight with me?

When David turned he saw Alexa crying feebly with a hand extended for him to take hold of…  David immediately reached and held on to it tightly…

Alexa :  (Her tears flowed non stop overwhelmed by his presence…)  What are you doing here?

David :  (He gently caressed her cheeks drying up her tears…)  I took the first available flight as soon as I heard what happened…  How are you?  (He took her hand and planted a kiss on her palm before he let it rest on his cheek…  He wanted to tell her how scared he was but he knew he had to be strong for her…)  How do you feel?

Alexa :  I feel weak…  I don’t know what they gave me but my head feels so light…  I woke up with a terrible headache…  They said we were in an accident, is that true?  Who got hurt?  I felt so tired and I could not understand a word they are saying…  Why were you not there?  I was looking for you but you were not there…  Where were you?  I was so scared when they took me to all these machines…  (She cried unabashly…)

David :  (He remembered what Crissy said…  David, right now, she talks incoherently probably from the effects of the drug they’d given her…  Please be patient with her…)  I was there but they would not let me in…  Ssh…  I am here now…