Chapter 4 ( The Worlds They Live In )

People who are sensible about love are incapable of it…  - Douglas Yates -

HAO MANSION

After the success of his last album he had been busy with appearances and invitations from all over the Chinese speaking countries all over Asia that he had no time to visit his mom…  When she called that morning, there was a tinge of bitterness in her voice because she had not seen him for a long time and he had not even called…

Marianne :  Are you really too busy to even call your mother?

David :  Mom, I am really sorry I have been in and out of the country the past weeks…  I am really sorry…

Marianne :  When do you think you can come for a visit or do I need to make an appointment now?

David :  Mom……  I’ll visit you today…  Are you going somewhere?  Wait for me, okay?  What do you want me to bring you?

Marianne :  Nothing…

David arrived with a bouquet of flowers for his mom who had been waiting for him with arms folded in front of her, a sign that she was still not happy even he’s already there…  He gave her the flowers but she turned her back on him…

David :  Mom, I’m here now…  Are you still angry?

Marianne :  What do you think?

David :  (He embraced her from behind…)  Nah…  You can never stay angry with me for a long time…

Marianne :  And why is that?

David :  Because I’m your first born?  Didn’t you always say that whenever I make you sad?  I’m sorry…

He’s right…  After a while, Marianne was already smiling and later on laughing at his stories…

Marianne :  Will you stay for dinner?

David :  I’d love to but I can’t…  I have a dinner appointment tonight and you can call James if you don’t believe me…

Marianne :  David, is there any chance I can persuade you to help your brother out with his project?  You see, you know some people he needs and if you can just talk to these people or introduce him maybe…

David :  Mom……  I don’t want to hurt you…  I know he’s your son but you also know how I feel about him…  I’m really sorry…  Why not ask my father to use his influence…  He has always done that and he never failed…  Mom, I know what you are trying to do…  But sometimes, he has to peddle for himself…  I made it on my own without asking the old man’s help and I never used his influence in any way…  Only a few people know I am his son but I still made it…  I’m sure he can do it without my help too…

She was hurt at David’s attitude towards her son and she forgot to hide it this time from him maybe because she feels Jason needs this project desperately to prove himself…

Marianne :  I’m sorry…  I shouldn’t have asked… 

She already knew what his answer would be but she had to try anyway for his son… For the first time, she never felt her pride trampled on till now…

When David turned to look at her, he was devastated…  His guilt got the better of him and he didn’t know what to say to assuage the feeling of animosity that befall her…  How could she put herself through this?  She knew better than to ask him…  He understood the length she could go through for her beloved son but did she really have to do it at his expense?  And no matter how she made him feel otherwise, now he knew he would still be only a stepson to her…  This realization hurt him a lot… But still causing this woman that pained look shuttered him even more and he hated Jason for putting her through this…  He must have asked her help to persuade him to help…  The door opened and who should enter but the last person he wanted to see…  Jason…