Chapter 39 ( Have We Met Before? )

Pure love and suspicion cannot dwell together:  at the door where the latter enters, the former makes its exit…  - Alexandre Dumas -

When Alexa smiled at her, Jason noticed that not only was that smile seemed like his mom’s…  It was his mom’s smile…  Same arch of their lips, squint of their eyes, creases on their noses and they both tilt their heads that conveyed sincerity…  That although Alexa was tired from her activities, her smile, just like her mom’s, would always be there for everyone…  Looking at both of them, Jason felt a tinge of familiarity and likeness in their expressions…

Alexa :  Hello, good evening, ma’am…

As they shook hands, a feeling of warmth exuded…  It’s like they’ve seen each other in the past and out of the blue Alexa hugged her and gave her a kiss…  Tears welled up from her eyes and she didn’t even know why…  The lady felt the same…  As soon as Alexa held her close, she was overwhelmed by the gesture and was teary eyed herself…  Marianne looked at her son and Jason smiled…  Looking back at Alexa, she had a pleasant thought…  “So this is the girl my son is raving about…”

Marianne :  Kumusta ka, hija…  [How are you, child?]

Alexa :  (Surprised…)  Marunong po kayong magtagalog?  [You know how to speak Tagalog?]

Marianne :  Oo naman, hindi ba nabanggit sa iyo nitong anak ko na Filipino rin ako? I’m half-chinese, half-filipino, hija…  [Oh yes…  Didn’t my son tell you that I’m a Filipina?]

Alexa :  (Thinking back she really could not remember…)  Baka po nakalimutan ni Jason na banggitin o baka po nakalimutan ko…[Maybe Jason forgot or he could have mentioned it but I forgot…]

Marianne :  (She gave his son a look of disappointment…)  Jason, you did not tell her you are also a Filipino?  I am disappointed in you, son…

Jason :  Sorry, mom…  I thought I already did…  (Turning to Alexa…)  Would you like to join us for coffee?  (He practically begged Alexa to accept to avoid his mother’s ire…)

Marianne :  OO nga naman, hija…  Alam mo bihira akong makakita ng kababayan hindi na yata ako marunong mag-tagalog…  (Marianne could not explain what she truly felt but she did not want Alexa to go just yet…)  [Yes, why don’t you join us?  You know, it’s seldom that I see a fellow Filipino that I’m afraid I might have forgotten the language…]

Alexa obliged but as they passed the front desk the attendant told Alexa that she had a phone call…  Surprised, she wondered, who would know where she could be found?  The mother and son went to join her…

Alexa :  Hello…  This is Alexa…  Who…  Hon!!!  Where are you?  Did you know it’s not safe to talk on the phone while driving?

David :  (He was happy for her concern but disappointed at the same time as Alexa defied him by talking to Jason…)  I’m…  just outside the hotel entrance…

Alexa :  What?  Where? (She turned to look for him, and pretended to sound irritated and cried out…)  I told you to go home…  Are you checking up on me?

David :  I can see that my princess did not keep her promise!  (He teased…)  Didn’t you forget something? Why do you think did I call you through the front desk?

Alexa :  Huh?  Hold on…  (Turning to Jason and his mother…)  Ma’am, Jason, I am sorry but I have to take this call…  May I take a rain check on your invitation?  I hope to see you again, ma’am…  (She gave a slight bow…  She knew she already missed David and although disappointed that she had to turn down the chance to meet the grand lady, she did not want to miss the opportunity of seeing him again…)