Chapter 23

In real love you want the other person's good. In romantic love you want the other person…  - Margaret Anderson -

They were treated to an elegant evening buffet dinner on the carefully manicured front lawn…  They were served a drink from the owner’s private stock of spirits distilled from honey…

The night in the farm was very invigorating…  After the laps she did at the pool, she felt like she had not eaten for years and devoured all that David placed on her plate…  They were busy talking about the pool incident that she did not notice how much she had already taken in until Crissy called her attention to it…

Crissy :  If you keep eating like this you will have a hard time shedding those fats off when we go home…

Alexa :  (Whispering to Crissy…)  Let’s explore the farm later…

Alexa wondered why the farm’s trademark was the firefly…  She later learned from the owner that it was chosen because it is a rather delicate insect that thrives only in a healthy environment…  The number of fireflies in Taiwan had greatly declined in recent years, but they were numerous at Ever Spring Farm, especially in July and August…  Alexa and Crissy stood up and walked into the hotel to freshen up…  When they reappeared, they did not return to their table but started to walk the path leading farther away from the rest…  Jackie called out to them…

Jackie :  Don’t go too far, you two…  Stay where we can see you…

Val waited for David to make a move but he did not…  David assumed that since Alexa and Crissy did not invite them, they wanted to be by themselves…  Probably it was for the best, he thought…  This early he was already feeling the pressure of being with her…  Normally, it did not matter whether he was seen with someone in public but this morning, he felt his world crumbled knowing it was too late to correct his mistake of taking Jen Xi as far as the studio…  He wanted her to stay for the next two weeks and yet he did not keep his part of the bargain…  He rubbed his forehead in frustration…  Val stood up to join the ladies for a walk while David remained seated…

Val :  Don’t worry, Jackie…  I’ll earn my keep…  (Then he called out…)  Wait up, ladies…  (When he caught up with them…)  May I join you?

Alexa :  (Playfully she answered…)  Crissy, someone here wants to join us…  Do you know him?

Val :  (He was in a good mood too…)  Then, may I introduce myself…  My name is Val, short for Valentine Li…  I am here in the company of a very stubborn and difficult man who is now sulking because his friends forgot about him… (They all laughed…)  How about it?  Shall we make a ladies’ man restless tonight?

Alexa :  (Still laughing…)  And how are we going to do that?

Val :  Hurmm…  Alexa will you please take my arm?  Crissy?  (While extending her the other…)

They gamely took each arm and walked further but still within sight…  They played into the dancing lights illuminated by the fireflies hovering above their heads…  Like a child, Alexa raised her hand and allowed one or two flying fairies to settle there…  David loved the sight of her proudly showing off Val and Crissy her conquest…  Crissy reached high up and when she got one… 

Alexa :  Don’t do anything, Crissy…  Just let it settle where she is…  The owner said they are very delicate…  You don’t want him to get upset with us, do you?  He told me they worked hard for its propagation…

Val :  Alexa, when you are no longer famous, you can always find a job here…  (He laughed heartily…)

Alexa :  What do you mean?