Chapter 27

Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love…  - Hamilton Wright Mabie -

Val tried to block Alexa’s view but he was too late…  Actually Alexa had seen the car from a distance and did not take her sight off it until it was clear who was inside…  A very disappointed Alexa confronted David as he glanced up unfastening his seatbelt…  Both of them could not move…  Val looked at David with contempt in his eyes…  This is the first time he felt like giving his friend a punch or two for what he had done…  He urged Alexa to move and numbed by the pain that she felt inside she nodded to Val who had to guide her to her seat…  She never gave David a second look…  David felt her anger…

Crissy :  Alexa…

Alexa :  I don’t want to hear a word from any of you…  Please…  I’m tired I want to get some sleep…

Val drove in silence looking at Alexa occasionally through the mirror…  Her eyes closed tight but tears continued to flow…  He wanted to hug her and tell her it’s alright but when she looked at Crissy, as if she read his thoughts and shook her head…  When they reached the airport, Crissy and Jason took care of their bags…

Crissy :  Val, please take care of Alexa while I check us in…  Jason can take care of our bags…

Val led Alexa to a seat and he was surprised as Alexa hugged him tight and broke down…

Alexa :  I was so worried something might have happened to him, Val…  I told him last night he doesn’t have to come but he told me to wait…  He could have called earlier to save me from worrying…  Who is she this time, Val?  She doesn’t look like the girl we saw at the studio nor the one who attacked me at the restaurant…  That is not Trisha, right?  Just how many are there?

Val :  (Releasing her from his hold and helping her to her seat…)  It was Irene Tao…

Alexa :  Who is she?  Her name sounds familiar…

Val :  The host of Behind The Camera…

Alexa :  Is she a past or a present?

Val :  Past…  Alexa, I don’t know what happened last night but I am sure the show was their first meeting since over a month ago…

On hearing this, Alexa straightened up and wiped her tears away…  Val was amazed at her sudden change of mood…

Alexa :  Then I got worried over nothing…  He did not lie to me after all, Val…  He said he was detained by something important…  They must have gotten back together…  If he was my boyfriend I should expect to be his priority too…  I am okay now…

She lied…  She hurt so much but how can she let Val know of her true feelings when David is not even her boyfriend…  The last thing she wanted right now is sympathy…  The sudden realization that to live in David’s world, she has to compete with so many women roused her to the fact that he will never be able to love her the way she wanted him to…  David is an actor…  The concern and attention he has shown her were just part of an act and she was a fool to believe otherwise…  She was an actress too and she should have foreseen that…  When Crissy and Jason joined them, she presented a different Alexa…  The excitement was back and when Crissy asked Val, she understood…  When it’s time for goodbyes, Alexa gave Val a kiss…

Alexa :  Thank you…  Next time you get a vacation, tell me…  I’ll let you stay at my place and Crissy can show you some of our beautiful places…  Right now, I’ll make sure Jason will enjoy every minute of his stay…  Hey, Jason…  You should pay me for my services…

Jason :  When we come back, I’ll give you a tour of Taiwan free of charge…  (They all laughed…)

Val :  Take care of Alexa, Jason…  Crissy, call me when you arrive, okay?