Chapter 36

But true love is a durable fire…  In the mind ever burning, never sick, never old, never dead…  From itself never turning…  - Sir Walter Raleigh -

David heard her and when he saw her put her hands over her face he knew she was crying again and he was saddened…  He wanted to be there by her side but he thought she needed this time to be alone and maybe, just maybe she would think of what he told her…  He wrote her name beside his then playfully wrote his family name in the sand…  “David – Alexa Hao”, would it be possible?

When he looked up again she was already walking towards him but she had her eyes set in a different direction… He could not resist taking that expression and recorded it in his phone…  She looked sad but somehow he could feel the inner peace in her countenance…

Alexa :  What is that?  (He showed him her picture that he took just a while ago and she smiled…)  And this?  (Pointing to the names he wrote in the sand…)  So confidently written in such a delicate surface and an image recorded where it can easily be erased by the touch of a finger and a kiss of the waves…

David :  (Taking her hand asking her to sit beside him…)  Are you angry?

Alexa :  (She looked at him and shook her head…)  It will not be there for long anyway…  I’m sure after I’m gone, another picture will grace your phone and the names, hmm, someone else can easily brush it and there will be no trace that it was there once…  (David remained silent with her remark…)  Can we stay here longer?

David :  Okay but let’s leave before it gets dark…  I want to treat you to dinner…

Alexa :  Okay…  (It was her turn to be quiet…)

David :  When you have time, why don’t you sneak in for a week and I’ll take you to some of our beautiful spots…  We’ll hide away from the prying eyes of the press and rid ourselves of stress…

Alexa :  (Seriously…)  Can we really do that, David?

David :  Tired? (Alexa nodded…)  Let’s do it next week…

Alexa :  What???

David :  I was just kidding…

David shifted his position and sat behind Alexa enfolding her tight, one arm he wound possessively on her shoulders the other around her waist…  She closed her eyes and leaned her head on his chest and David held her tighter as though afraid that he might lose her…  Softly he whispered in her ear…

David :  So,  what was that all about?  What did you tell your father that made you cry?  And… what did he tell you?  Did you talk to him about me?

Alexa looked at him, his face again so close then she suddenly understood what his father and the little prince were trying to tell her…  David had previously shown her the real him but only her heart had seen and she turned blind to it…  She preferred to believe what her eyes revealed…  Silence prevailed, as both were lost in their own thoughts - Alexa as she listened to her heart and David as she looked at her staring at him…  Realizing the proximity of her lips to his, he was drawn to feel its softness… His finger traced her pursed lips and at his insistence, prodded it to open…  He looked into her eyes as his lips seized that which his finger had stirred to accept…  It was a gentle kiss but feeling no protest from her, he probed further and deeper until passion took over…  David’s kiss became hard and more demanding to which she submitted, not holding anything back…  His hand that was once on her shoulder started to drift down but before he stepped further down the line, he stopped himself…  He turned her to face him and embraced her tight long enough until the fire that raged within them calmed down…  When his heart returned to beat at its regular pace, he tried to release her to see her face but Alexa held on to him tighter…  Her head resting on his shoulder as her warm breath stirred him to passion even more…