Chapter 58

It's so easy to fall in love but hard to find someone who will catch you…   - Anonymous -

David sat alone in his living room with only the light from a table lamp to illuminate the darkened room…  He knew Alexa would be there when he called but when she did not pick up the phone, he felt he had lost her…  “I don’t give second chances…”, he remembered her saying that same night…  What happened came back to mind…  He was amazed at how fate played a trick on him, how in an instant the future that was once bright suddenly became dim…  He found happiness in Alexa…  A feeling he never had…  With her, he had someone to take care of…  Someone to pamper…  She started his day, ended his nights and thoughts about her to occupy his mind in between…  And Julianne?  Julianne was the past he thought he loved before she left him a year ago to pursue her studies abroad…  Despite his pleas not to leave him she still went to France and now she was back at the time he was frustrated and desperate to be with Alexa…  She was looking more beautiful and sophisticated than ever…  She was not really the one he wanted to see that night but he also was not in the right frame of mind…  He was vulnerable and easily he succumbed to his weakness…  A year ago, nothing would have pleased him more than to see her at his doorstep…  But now that he found Alexa, he discovered love far beyond friendship, company and much more than sex…  It was more than what he had for Julianne…  He capped his face with his hands and cried helplessly…  He had never wanted a woman as much as he wanted Alexa…  When his phone rang, his breathing stopped…  After the first ring, he hoped there would not be another as it would mean that Alexa would be ready to hear him but when it did ring again, he closed his eyes…  “Let’s talk, Honey…  Please call me…”  The phone kept ringing and eventually he answered…

David :  What is it, Val?

Val :  Are you in the hotel?  I am here at bar with Julianne…  I think you two should talk…

David :  I can’t…  I am waiting for her call…

Val :  SHE WILL NOT CALL!!!  How many times do I have to tell you…  Clear the matter with Julianne first then we will talk about Alexa once and for all…

__________________________

Julianne :  How are you, David?  We didn’t get to talk the last time we were together…

David :  Why did you come back?

Julianne :  (She did not expect this reaction from David and she suddenly felt uncomfortable…)  I was offered job as a fashion designer here and I thought I’d accept because of you…  When I left I know I had hurt you and I regretted that day happened…  I have never stopped loving you, David…  I am here to stay…  I will not leave you again…

David :  We have to bear the responsibilities of our decisions…  When you decided to leave me I begged you to stay but you refused…  I was hurt but only for a while…  Julianne…  Later, I realized that what we had was not love at all…  If it was, you would not be so eager to leave…  On my part, when you left, I should have followed you and tried to take you back…  We did not do both…  You did not even call and I did not look forward to them…

Julianne :  Is it because of the woman on the phone…  Who is she, David?

David :  Her name is Alexa…  A Filipina singer I had the chance to work with…  She not only took care of my music, she also took of my heart…

Julianne :  David, if I did stay, would it have made any difference?

David :  (He shook his head…)  I don’t know…  With the way she walked into my life, I know I would have fallen in love with her anyway and I could end up hurting you even more…