Chapter 48

Sympathy constitutes friendship; but in love there is a sort of antipathy, or opposing passion. Each strives to be the other, and both together make up one whole…  - Samuel Taylor Coleridge -

Marianne was always happy whenever David would come for a visit…  As soon as they reached the driveway, this elegant lady who had been waiting for them came rushing to give him her loving embrace…  Suddenly his mind drifted back thinking about Alexa…  The more he thought about it, a lot of her traits reminded him of his stepmother…

David :  Hello, Mom…

He could not understand the feeling but he thought he saw Alexa for just a second…  His stepmother also loved to hug the people she likes…  He would often tease her that she was more of a showbiz personality than he was…

Marianne :  How are you, son?  Val?  I haven’t seen the two of you in a long time I missed you!  (She gave them a big hug…)

David :  Mom, how was the contract coming along?

Marianne :  Oh, I think we got that…  Your father seemed to have gotten the results of my trip and I think that surprise he was telling me is a dinner tonight…  Why don’t you come along, honey?  It’s been a while since you joined us for dinner…  We are currently negotiating a partnership with a hotel in America…  It’s still in the works…  Would you like to participate in it?  I think it’s about time you engage yourself in the business…

David :  Thanks, but I’m sure father would like to be alone with you tonight besides, I’d like to leave the hotel business to him and his son…

Marianne :  David…  You are his son too…  Your father will be very happy to see you…  You don’t know how much he misses you… (David turned away to end the topic and Marianne understood and obliged…)  So, what is it you want to see me about?  You sounded serious when you called me?  Are you alright?  Val, are you not taking good care of him?  (Val looked at her like a child being reprimanded and smiled sheepishly then gave her a kiss on her cheek as his response…)

He loved this woman too as she had treated him like a son…  He remembered the first time she gave him an allowance…  He did not like to accept but the woman would not take no for an answer…  She told him not to tell David about it or she would not give him again…  David’s possessiveness where his mom was concerned was unrelenting and he had seen this side of him so many times before…  This was one of the reasons why he refused to accept Jason…  She was aware of this too but she had a way with words that would not make one feel insulted or left out…  She commanded respect and he could only follow…  Then he wondered how Alexa would accept this side of David…  He chose to stay in the garden so the mother and son could talk as he waited for Crissy’s call…

David :  I’m fine, Mom, thank you…  I saw Jason at the airport and he told me he was going to the Philippines…  Did something happen to your family?

Marianne :  Oh you talked to him then?  (Marianne was surprised because she knew even if David and Jason would be alone in one place David would choose to ignore his brother…)  Well, it’s nothing like that…  You know very well that I’ve severed all communication with them a long time ago…  We did not keep secrets from you…

David :  I know, Mom, so why did he go there?

Marianne :  Well, I guess your brother is in love!!!

David :  (Surprised at this unexpected remark…)  Why do you say that?

Marianne :  Hmmm…  Your father was suppose to attend a business conference for a week in the Philippines and he wanted me to go with him but after that long trip I just had, I’m feel tired so your father decided to pass this one…  Well, you know your father…  The whole time I was in Europe, he would call just to remind me not to miss my meal…  You try to hide it but I can see your father in you with the way you care for me…  I wouldn’t want to believe it has changed this last few weeks that I haven’t seen you or heard from you…