Chapter 97

When love beckons to you, follow him...  Though his ways are hard and steep...  And when his wings enfold you, yield to him...  Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you...

After dinner, they all went to the terrace to await the turn of the new year...

Michael :  We never had too much chance to talk during David's birthday...  I'm glad you could all come now...  (He looked at Crissy...)  Val, is this the woman your father talked to me about?  I had a phone call this morning from your dad...

Val :  Yes she is, Uncle...

Michael :  Isn't she your friend too, Ally?  We never had the chance to talk much the last time...

Alexa :  She is more than a friend, Sir...  (David poked her side...)  Dad...  I want to formally introduce to you my family...  This is my manager Tita Jackie...  She is the reason why I have work and she chooses the best contracts for me...  And this is Crissy...  She is a personal assistant on the side but actually the closest friend I have...  She takes care of everything for me making my life easier...

Michael :  I can see you have some good people to take care of you...  Any friend of Ally is welcome here...

Just about then, Marianne joined them followed by two uniformed maids with coffee and dessert...  While the others were having their drinks, Marianne took the chance to talk to Jackie...  Through her Marianne learned what Alexa went through to be where was...  How devastated she was when her father died when she should be celebrating for winning the championship in a singing contest...  How she worked hard for what she has now...  Then she talked about her concerts...  But Marianne was more interested in her youth that she did not see...

Marianne :  How did you meet her?

Jackie :  Ahh...  Nagpa-contest po ang school nila noon at isa po ako sa naimbitahang mag-judge...  Talent manager na po ako noon at mga singers ang hawak ko...  Graduating na ng high school si Alexa noon and unfortunately, she did not win the championship...  May talent na sya noon pa man but at that time I feel na kulang ang performance nya...  Parang walang puso ang pagkanta nya...  Galit na galit ang Tita nya noon...  Akala ko nga noong una eh nanay nya...  Sinampal sya sa harap ng mga kaibigan nya...  Doon ko nalaman kung bakit sya natalo...  Pinilit lang sya...  When she graduated, nagkita ulit kami...  Kumakanta sya sa isang maliit na karaoke bar...  Kailangan daw nyang kumita kasi may sakit ang tatay nya...  (Marianne gasped and Jackie saw sympathy from her eyes that were on the verge of tears...  She wondered but continued...)  Kinumbinsi ko siya na sumali sa Hamon sa Kampeon...  Pero sabi ko kailangan sa akin sya titira...  I talked to her father and aunt when she agreed...  I told them that I'd give her the proper training for the contest...  You should have seen the look on her aunt's face when I told her how much was the price money if she'd win...  Malungkot lang kasi noong nag-champion sya, noon din namatay ang father nya...

[Their school conducted a singing contest and I was invited to be one of the judges...  I was already a talent manager who handles mostly singers...  Alexa was then graduating in high school and unfortunately she did not win the championship...  She already had the talent but at that time, I feel she was lacking in performance...  She didn't have her heart in it...  Her aunt was furious when she lost...  I thought then she was her mother...  She slapped the poor child in front of her friends...  There I knew why she did not make it...  She was forced to do it...  When she graduated, I saw her again...  She was singing in a small karaoke bar...  She told me she needed to work because her father was sick...  I convinced her then to join Hamon sa Kampeon...  But I told her she had to live with me...  I talked to her father and aunt when she agreed...  I told them that I'd give her the proper training for the contest...  You should have seen the look on her aunt's face when I told her how much was the price money if she'd win...  It's just sad that before she was proclaimed the winner, her father died...]