Chapter 12

For one human being to love another that is perhaps the most difficult of our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof; the work for which all other work is but preparation…  - Rainer Maria Rilke -

As Alexa waited for her call to be answered, she thought she should have been used to this kind of fabrication but being conceived of as one of the girls just wasn’t her cup of tea…  She suddenly realized how David’s reputation could suddenly change her good stance…  From yesterday’s happy disposition, Alexa’s mood today could not be discerned…

Val :  Hello…

Alexa :  Val, this is Alexa…  May I speak with David please?

Val :  Hi, Alexa…  Good morning…  He is in the shower right now may I take your message?

Alexa :  Please tell him that something important came up that I have to cancel breakfast…  I’ll meet him at the site instead…

Val :  Is something the matter?  Can I help?

Alexa :  It’s nothing we can’t handle…  Thanks, Val…  Will you relay the message, please?

Val :  I will…  Are you sure you’re okay?

Alexa heard Val’s concern but she opted not to answer and put down the phone instead…  David received the message as soon as he got out of the shower…

David :  What is it this time?

David dialed Alexa’s number but she turned off her cell phone…  He then tried the hotel phone…

Crissy :  Good morning…  This is Crissy speaking…

David :  Hi Crissy…  This is David…  May I speak with Alexa, please?

Crissy :  David?  (She looked at her watch and she noticed the time…)  Hold on…  (She waited a few minutes before getting back to David…)  She’s not in her room…  Aren’t you supposed to meet for breakfast?

David :  Yeah, but she called to cancel…  I was wondering if something might have happened…  Would you know about it?

Crissy :  (Seeing the paper in front of her…)  I’m not sure…  She’s not here…  Hmm, David, have you read the papers today?

David :  No…  I don’t read them anymore…

Crissy :  I think you should…  I have to go look for her then…

David :  When you find her, will you tell her I called?

Crissy replaced the phone to its cradle…  All the while Alexa was there beside her listening at Crissy’s end of conversation…

At the site, although Alexa was friendly, David sensed something was bothering her…  He tried to find out during their break but she would always be quick to avoid him…

The director had just given them their instructions for the next sequence…  They were several paces away from everyone so as the director was walking away from them, David took the opportunity to asked her what happened…

David :  You’re not going to get away this time…  Come on…  Tell me, what did I do this time?  You’ve been trying to avoid me since this morning…  Let’s talk about it…

Alexa :  I’m not trying to avoid you…  I’m sorry about this morning…  Something came up…

Their conversation ceased when the director yelled “ACTION” much to David’s dismay…  They were suppose to walk towards the camera hand in hand, looking very much in love but halfway through the path, the director yelled…