Chapter 41

We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love…  It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person…  - W. Somerset Maugham -

David was standing behind the door just waiting for everyone to leave…  He did not want to take part in the conversation so he made up a reason to get out of it…  He did not know just how long he’d been there until he heard a soft knock…  He opened the door almost immediately and found Alexa…

Alexa :  What’s wrong?  Are you alright?

David :  Yes, I am alright…  Are you done talking?

Alexa :  Yes…  Mr. Yin already left…

They went to the terrace to finish their coffee, which was cold by now…  Crissy had since joined Val in the living room…

Alexa :  Will you please tell me what’s bothering you?  You’ve been acting strange all night…

David actually was trying to find the words to begin…  He wanted to know how Alexa would react at what he was about to say…  Alexa realizing that he was not ready to talk yet gave him sometime to prepare…  She stood up and walked towards the railing to take a last look at the panoramic view of Taiwan…  He took off his coat and placed it on her shoulder…

David :  Wear this…  The night breeze might not be good for your voice…

Alexa :  (She shook her head and removed the coat…)  Why don’t you be my coat instead…

He placed the coat on the chair and from behind he locked her in his arms…

David :  Comfortable enough?

Alexa :  Hmm…  (She breathed a sigh…)  Your country is very beautiful at night…

From where she stood she thought it was breathtaking…  She closed her eyes and took a deep breath of the night wind…  She savored the feel summer breeze across her face, embracing every part of her body and David just loved every move she made…  She gently caressed the arms that held her captive and pondered on David’s nearness…

Alexa :  Aren’t you going to tell me something?

David :  (David finally spoke…)  I want you to be honest when you answer me…  What you’ve seen of me today, did you like it?

Alexa :  Most of it…  (David hesitated for a while and his silence bothered Alexa…)  What is it, David?

David :  I’m afraid you have not seen the rest of me yet…

Alexa :  Are going to tell me?

David :  (He held Alexa closer and tighter and whispered as he choke on his words…)  I’m scared to let you go…  I don’t think I can share you with anyone else…

Alexa stiffened at the thought that David still did not know the truth about Gio…  She was debating on whether to tell him or not…  Weighing her options, she decided to maintain what he believed was true at the moment to keep him on his toes temporarily…  It was now David’s turn to be concerned with her silence…

David :  Tomorrow, I feel like it will be a death sentence that awaits me…  It is possible that the moment you lay eyes on him you might realize that it is him who your heart beats for…  I wouldn’t know if I can take it…  I hate to think you are in his arms holding you this way…  (His hand slowly trailed down to gently caress her breast whispering his passion in her ear…)  Touching you as I do now… 

Feeling her weakened, he released her and pulled her back toward the chair…  He let her sit on his lap locked her in his arms…  She rested her head on his shoulder her arms wound around his neck…  David felt her sobs and he was saddened…